Medical practice in the 21st century is vastly different from the practice in old age. We have come a long way in this field. Treatment of patients was not always practiced under strict and standard procedures and ethics like it does now. We learned this through reading medical reports and texts from history, drawings, and surgical tools. The mental attitude of the doctors differed greatly in old times and since everyone in ancient times was really just figuring out how to live efficiently, we doubt their medical practices were as accurate and well researched as they are now. They even perceived diseases and the concept of death very differently which reflected in how they managed the medical patients. They had to go through the process of trial and error in the medical field only after they reasonably decided that human health is of great importance.
Out of all the records from the past, drawings are the most appealing ones. You get to see how the interactions between the doctors and patients used to be. We have gathered some drawings that include doctors and patients, and we bet you won’t be able to scroll through these without laughing in disbelieve, we are not lying! These drawings show medical practice nothing like how it is now and that is what we find hilarious. Things used to be so different in past but I never thought this is how far along we have come.
Scroll down below to check some hilarious photos of doctors figuring out some serious stuff!
1. Damn, is that really a vase?
2. How can the doctor even look inside the mouth with that huge equipment in between?
How did it get in the mouth in the first place?!
3. Scary bird doctor to the rescue!
4. His velvet robe is more special than the patient’s health!
Karate chop the patient for puking?! wow.
5. That poor patient!
6. Mopping the damn bugs out of that hair!
Is that how we get rid of lice?!
7. …Is that a pliers?
8. Cutting someone’s head open would give you that!
So you’re gonna need head surgery. Just put your head on my lap and we’ll cut you open.
9. Scolding your patient for their medical issue instead of treating it was a thing in the past!
Yeah, no comments on this one.
10. Why were doctors so obsessed with cutting patients in the past?
Oh my God, can you believe these pictures? I am wondering if these drawings are actually based on real situations in clinical settings from that time. All these drawings seem to be from the same era, and all the weird practices going on in them, so I am guessing these are real. All medical practitioners were probably just winging their way into the medical field.
These aren’t over yet! There are many more to go. Scroll down and check it out!
11. Physician is taking his time!
I am just really unsure, said the doctor. Let’s just cut it off.
12. Doctor just used every staff person present in the clinic!
Okay, but how is that comfortable?!
13. The doctor is celebrating the fact that he didn’t catch the smallpox
14. Anyone who is getting a hole drilled in their head would be late for that appointment!
Out of all the absurd medical practices that took place in old times, this one shocks me the most! And what stuns me more is that this is still practiced in current times in some places due to the lack of proper medical facilities. It is known that drilling hold into someone’s head was used to cure depression because depression was considered to be a cause of bad blood accumulated in your brain!
15. Multitasking at its best
16. And the doctor is as calm as she could be!
That’s a very large baby…
17. Hope the patient’s back didn’t break during the process
18. The fact that doctors were allowed to poke such pointy tools is insane!
You will be blind after the surgery.
19. When the patient doesn’t drink enough water so you have to force them to drink it.
These doctors really chose the worst ways to treat their patients and unlucky for them, it got made into a drawing! I bet a lot of us must be thanking the heavens that we were not in this era when we were more likely to be mistreated by a doctor than anything else. I wish we could ask these people for explanations of what they were doing, or at least ask the painters whether their drawings are based on real-life situations.
Whatever the background stories are to these drawings, such records from the past always crack you up! It is hilarious to see how different lives were back then and how much everything is changed now. And even though we all are grateful we are born in a time when we have so many resources and knowledge, I think we all can agree it would be amazing to travel back to these times and experience all of it at least once. Rosy retrospection makes us view old times in a very positive light regardless of where they lacked.
Share this with your friends and find out which drawing they found most absurd!