Conditioning is a process that involves reinforcements, in this case, provided to pets. We positively reinforce behaviors to teach them to continue doing those behaviors while we negatively reinforce behaviors to put an end to such behaviors. This in turn conditions them to a particular behavior. This phenomenon was initially introduced by conditioning dogs. Therefore, we can never negate that animals do not have a brain. They are intelligent creatures and quick to pick up on attributes and behaviors, through modeling.
If an animal did a nice gesture, we reward them through positive reinforcements thus giving them a treat so they continue to repeat the specific behavior. While on the other hand, we can skillfully punish them for the behaviors we do not want them to exhibit. Accidental conditioning can take place where the owners are not aware as to where they might be rewarding some behaviors and where they might be punishing some behaviors which can confuse the animals too.
1. “The accidental conditioning”
2. Morning is the perfect time for a good belly rub.
3. The dog needs the daily dose of gossip too.
4. Now the cat knows well how to turn on the lights.
5. She is too pristine to drink water out of a bowl.
6. She is the sailer to her boat.
7. That is an interesting way to get treats.
8. What is the fun otherwise right?
9. Karma is real guys.
10. He is a smart pup.
The owners in various situations did not even realize it until it was too late and the pet had already adapted to the lifestyle. This is accidental as they must have been doing many things in their mundane lives and while doing it, the animals were picking up on the set patterns which they were quick to learn.
Some of the stories are hilarious while others are just innocent.
11. The dog is just too used to it.
12. We all need praise for our actions.
13. Snout is just comforting.
14. Getting your toy means picking up any and everything.
15. The dog must be waiting desperately for you to call your sister.
16. It is time for bed after 9 pm.
17. Just tell her you’re okay and she will stop yelling, she just cares.
18. She must be killing all the invisible spiders too.
19. Just tell the cat how much of a good boy he is.
20. The pandemic has taught the animals quite a routine.
This was an interesting read for me, what do you think of accidental conditioning? Do you think, as owners, it is our role to focus on such minor details beforehand to make sure we don’t instill any unwanted behaviors in our pets? We cannot blame animals as they are just seeking cues to know what is about to happen next, it is their curious nature to look for such patterns.