Creating an engaging story is essential when it comes to creating a successful film. The majority of films follow a three-act format that begins with a setup, then sends your characters on a quest, and finally concludes with a satisfying ending that leaves u exhilarated and feeling accomplished. This framework has proven successful for many years and serves as the basis for the majority of the films that we see today.
Having said that, a skilled screenwriter may also include their own skills into their story to make it distinctive to them and their audience. One of the goals of a film is to keep the viewer interested from the beginning all the way to the final scene. An excellent approach to accomplish this is to intertwine unanswered questions along with the plot, which will keep the audience guessing until the very end of the story. By turning the tables in the most unforeseen situations and revealing to the audience something they didn’t see coming, a brilliant plot twist is a fantastic approach to startle the audience. Throughout the history of cinema, filmmakers have used this technique to enhance their films, and it may make or break a successful production. Listed below are the top 34 most remarkable plot twists in cinematic history, ordered in ranking. Spoiler warning: some of these are major spoilers so beware before you go on reading these memorable plot twists!
1. Andrew Garfield’s Peter gets to save MJ in Spider-Man: No Way Home in this emotional scene from the same tragic fall that his girlfriend Gwen Stacey had died from!
2. Parasite is a psychological thriller in which Moon-Gwang discovers that her husband has been living in the basement after unlocking a secret passageway.
3. In Frozen, Hans’ cold-hearted betrayal of Anna when she’s in need of him to save her from what Elsa did to her heart
4. Because Christian Bale’s character was an identical twin, it was revealed in The Prestige that he was able to perform magical feats because he was a twin himself.
5. In Promising Young Woman, you can clearly see that Cassie had scheduled messages showing that she had an emergency plan in case things went south.
6. As revealed in Joker, Arthur’s romantic connection with Sophie was a complete fabrication of his imagination, and nothing ever happened.
7. An intense and frenetic basketball game is followed by Adam Sandler’s character’s death after winning a ludicrous wager in the film Uncut Gems.
8. In the film Orphan, Esther was determined to be a 33-year-old serial killer while she was actually portrayed to be a nine-year-old!
9. After creating a film that portrayed Spider-Man as the villain, Mysterio revealed his true identity to the world in Spider-Man: Far from Home.
10. At first, Judy thought that Assistant Mayor Bellwether was responsible for every attack and that he was depicting predators as vicious creatures, but she soon realized that was not the case.
11. David realized for the first time that Vick, the private investigator he had engaged to look into his daughter’s kidnapping, was the one who had organized the entire affair.
12. When Kujan found out that Verbal was really Keyser Söze in The Usual Suspects, he was devastated.
13. In the film Wreck-It Ralph, The entire world understood that King Candy was actually Turbo when he began to malfunction.
14. It was revealed in Us that Red had been imprisoning Adelaide’s true self beneath the boardwalk for decades.
15. This theft was planned by FBI agent Dylan, who was tasked with apprehending the Four Horsemen in the film Now You See Me.
16. Unbreakable’s Bruce Willis character appeared at the end of Split and it was revealed that the entire film was a sequel that had been out for 16 years.
17. During the film Ex Machina, Ava locked Caleb in the house and then escaped in the helicopter that was sent to find him.
18. A patient in the facility, not a US Marshal, was Leonardo DiCaprio’s character’s revelation in Shutter Island.
19. During the events of Avengers: Infinity War, Thanos made the ultimate sacrifice, of Gamora, in order to get the Soul Stone – the only thing he ever loved.
20. After convincing everyone that his planet could sustain human life, Mann attempts to cover his tracks by assassinating Cooper in the film Interstellar.
21. Ernesto poisoned Héctor in Coco and stole all of his music, and Héctor was enraged.
22. In the movie “In The Visit” it was only through a video chat that the mother realized that her children were residing with escaped mental patients instead of their grandparents.
23. It was revealed at the end of Black Swan that Nina had stabbed herself with shattered glass instead of killing Lily as she had assumed.
24. In Whiplash, Fletcher used inappropriate music to assault Andrew on stage in order to ruin his career solely because Andrew confessed against him.
25. A real-life guy appeared from the house’s walls after Brahms (the doll) was smashed into hundreds of pieces in “The Boy,” implying that he had escaped a catastrophe 20 years before.
26. The Spider-Man: Homecoming movie: On his way over to Liz’s house for a dance, Peter found that Liz’s dad turned out to be Vulture.
27. As soon as Mia and Sebastian were shown living happily ever after in the beautiful montage in La La Land, it suddenly transitioned to actuality and Mia was with somebody else.
28. Seeing a polar bear for the first time in Snowpiercer made them realize that life may exist beyond the train.
29. When Costigan captured Sullivan in The Departed, he thought he had finally reclaimed his life, but he was assassinated in the elevator immediately.
30. When Chris and Rose were preparing to run in Get Out, Rose suddenly broke character and stated she was planning to hold him hostage.
31. “Flashbacks” in Arrival revealed out to be future memories that Louise and Ian would have to see their daughter die of.
32. It was Jigsaw, the torturer’s mastermind, who was exposed as the “dead” guy on the ground in Saw when he awoke.
33. When it was discovered that Ben had killed seven people while texting and driving, he wanted to keep his body parts and donate them.
34. In Avengers: Endgame, when everybody returns to help Thanos destroy him and save the universe via the portals,
How much fun did you have reading about these surprising plot twists from movies? Let us know in the comments section below.