A vegan diet may not be suitable for all living beings.
We all have our dietary preferences. Some like to eat the unhealthiest food, some go the healthy route. And then there are also people who make a shift to a vegan diet from a non-vegan one at some period of their life. Other than wanting to be healthy, most people shift to a vegan diet because of the whole “animal cruelty” factor.
People have now started to take things a step forward. Given how easier it is for them to shift to a vegan diet, they believe it would be easy for their pet animals to shift to one as well. Hence, many people on this planet have started to shift their dogs to a vegan diet.
The real question here is now about sustenance and maintenance. The vets do bit recommend a plant-based diet for dogs or cats. While dogs can still do it for a little while, in the long run, it is suggested stay on a meat-based diet. And for cats, it is not recommended right from the start. They should stay away from vegan meals. Period.
You must be familiar with the statement “I am built differently”. Well, that applies accurately to what I am trying to say here. A cat’s digestive system was never made for plants to go in there. They struggle to digest that and that causes tummy and gas-related problems. Cats, in their diet, require a specific kind of protein that can only be delivered through meat and not leaves.
Today’s Reddit story touches on this very topic. OP in this story is a stepmother to her husband’s daughter. She shares that recently their daughter had been wanting to live a “free: life and feels she is being caged by her parents. She also wants (relevant to our topic) them to shift their cat’s meals to a vegan diet because the whole idea of her consuming meat makes her feel sick.
To know how her parents reacted to this and what was the end result, read the story as shared by OP on the sacred community of Am I The A$$hole, down below.
1. I hope the whole “step” relation doesn’t come into play.
2. The daughter seems to be very unhappy for quite a few reasons mentioned below.
3. The daughter wants her parents to shift Mango, their cat, to a vegan diet because watching Mango eat meat makes her feel sick.
The daughter also claims this is the reason why she is losing weight, she literally vomits if she sees Mango eat meat or even through the smell of it.
4. No matter how hard OP’s stepdaughter tried to have Mango shift on a vegan diet, her parents refused to do so because they new it would be terrible for the cat.
Here’s what the internet had to say and why:
6. If you want to ruin your cat’s health, go ahead and listen to your stepdaughter.
7. No matter who you are, Mango will still be fed meat at all cost.
8. Your dietary beliefs should not be enforced on your pets.
I am sorry, stepdaughter but I will also be declaring you an AH in today’s story. Cats require a protein-based diet and that comes best through meat, not the greens you intend to have your cat fed by your parents. I think her parents are perfectly right in terms of asking her to leave if the smell of meat makes her sick. That’s the best they can do. They cannot ruin one living being’s health for the other’s when the other has the option to shift somewhere else.
9. It was her choice to stay with her parents. She can choose to live elsewhere because her parents will not change their ways for someone who is only going to be at their house for a year.
10. Switch Mango to a vegan diet, if she wants to be declared a murderer.
11. She does not support animal cruelty but wants to be the cruelest to her cat by feeding him plant-based food.
12. Unless the vet directs, never feed your cat a vegan meal.
13. How does she thinking feeding leaves to a carnivore will work out?
14. Collectively the whole subreddit supported the fact that OP’s stepdaughter was super dumb for wanting Mango to be started on a vegan diet.
15. Even a nurse proved OP was NTA.
16. They should get their daughter checked for her sickness
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your votes and thoughts in the comments section down below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“This is Ice Cube, he crossed the Rainbow Bridge on the 18th. He liked grass. A lot.”