Soldiers spend a lot of days away from their family and loved ones, at the front of danger, risking their lives for the safety of their country and honor. It’s a big task, it asks a lot of them, and they sacrifice a good chunk of their life towards it. If they see combat or gunfire, it’s not unusual for them to come back with some form of PTSD.
It’s saddening, but studies show that almost 15% of all veterans die because of suicide. That’s heartbreaking, because the average suicide rate is 0.1345 out of every 100. Seeing as how difficult their lives can be, it’s nice to see soldiers get comfortable and snuggly with cats they found while they were on duty.
These aren’t limited to a particular country’s military either, it’s global. All that tells us is that love for cats transcends differences between countries and cultures. Just look at these!
1. This cat stays near the walls for protection
2. He wants to be inside the safety vest!
3. Feed tuna to stray cats for brownie points.
4. This pretty kitty is so incredibly photogenic.
5. Do cats come in tiny size? Look how tiny!
He fits in his hand so easily. My cat’s grown up to be huge, the size of my torso, and the fact that once upon a time, he was a little furball the size of my palm is just so tear-jerking. Look at the little kitty, he can’t even open his eyes yet.
6. This hero is taking the time to hand feed a cat in a trench.
7. Even deployed soldiers need cuddle buddies.
8. The tinier your cuddle buddy, the better!
9. There’s something about having a cat perched on your shoulder that makes you feel amazing.
10. Two cats on shoulders are definitely better than one!
11. She’s so tiny! Look at her tail!
12. An unattended lap? Not on this cat’s watch.
13. Angry little pocket cat!
14. A moment of serenity and peace.
15. A handful of kitties always makes the day better.
They both look so cuddly and soft. How did they manage to stay so soft and puffy like that? I’m jealous he got to hold them and I didn’t, they’re probably so sweet!
16. Marine Madine has been chosen.
17. Soldiers must sleep still as a rock for these cats to pick their chests as a bed.
18. Having too few hands for too many cats is the best problem to have.
19. Even the dog in the background loves the kitty.
21. There’s always time to play with a cat.
22. She’s sleeping in a helmet.
23. The cat’s not as happy as the soldier is.
24. They’re shaking hands, that’s so cute.
25. The irony of such a moment with a gun next to it is outstanding.
This looks like the kind of picture you can put in some art gallery. Maybe to protest war, or maybe just to show the irony of battle. Soldiers aren’t violent, they’re just trying to defend their country, they fight from love, not hate. And this picture is proof of it.
26. This cat stopped by purely for head pats.
27. He doesn’t know why the soldiers are here, but he decided to wait with them.
28. Some water for the thirsty cuddly kitty.
29. Ah, yes, the everpresent turmoil of trying to bribe a cat with food.
30. She’s getting ready to pounde on his face.
31. They’re going on a patrol together.
32. I wonder if the guy on the left is jealous he doesn’t have a cat on him.
33. The fact that there’s a soldier out of frame petting the cat makes this so much better.
34. Sergeant Case reporting for duty!
35. When you’re only supposed to pack the essentials.
36. Two soldiers are pampering this fur child.
37. Out of everywhere to lay down on, this cat chose the back of someone’s neck. Nice.
38. The soldier’s name is an indication of his actions.
39. Artillery cat should terrify you.
40. The sheer joy on this guys face speaks volumes.
What about you? Have you ever been far away from your loved ones with the company of a pet? Tell us about it!