Parental favoritism always has its consequences.
As the term suggests, parental favoritism is when one or both parents favor one child over the other. You will always sense they are prioritizing one because there won’t be any strict rules for that kid, it will always get what it demands. Sequentially, the other gets no acknowledgment, there are way too many restrictions on this child, and it has to perform really well in tests or exams to get a gift of choice.
This is very problematic as parental favoritism gives birth to two new problems. The first is when the parent stops showing any love to a child, the child also loses the love for its parent and doesn’t like complying with the parent’s demands or orders. The second issue is, a terrible relationship of anger this favoritism causes to form between those two children. You just know they will never be able to gel together and I don’t think we will be seeing any coordination between the two.
In today’s story, we have a mother who favored one child over the other and the unfavored child is her teen daughter. Recently, the 16-year-old OP created a post on Reddit where she shared that her mother had broken her ankle and couldn’t walk her dog until it was fully healed. So she turned towards her unfavored daughter to walk the dog until the injury gets resolved. But her daughter literally has no time to take up this responsibility and suggested her brother does it.
This news was not received well because the brother was the favored child and the mother didn’t want him to go through any hassle. OP took the matter to the sacred community of AITA to know if she was wrong for not walking the dog during the time her mother’s ankle was broken.
Scroll down below to read!
1. I don’t think it is possible to tell what happens in the story just by reading this title.
2. OP feels it is unfair that her brother gets prioritized by her mother too much.
3. Due to his anxiety issues, OP’s brother doesn’t go to school and because he stays at home with him, he became his mom’s baby. And that’s why mom asked OP to walk her dog and never considered her pampered son.
4. When OP suggested her brother walk the dog on days when she is too busy, the mother went off on her daughter saying that she never helps.
5. The dog is her brother’s so technically he’s the responsible body for the dog, not OP.
I think OP was NTA. When the mother doesn’t care about OP as much as she does about her son, then why should OP care about taking on her duties? It’s her mother’s and her brother’s dog and if there is anyone who should be asked to walk the dog daily, is OP’s brother and no one else. But he is too pampered to do it. The mother created parental favoritism and she now has to deal with its consequences.
Here’s what the AITA members had to vote and say:
6. The brother is fully milking it.
7. The only way to get rid of his anxiety is if the brother makes an effort himself.
8. Really thought OP was after the title.
9. I think OP is still young to move out but yes, the point about the dog being her brother’s and not hers is very valid.
10. Mom needs to stop with the pampering and put some responsibility on her son’s shoulders.
11. OP should only walk the dog when there is a house chore that needs to be done, and that duty should be taken over by her brother.
12. OP needs to step up and tell her mother what a mess she is creating.
13. The mother needs to behave like an adult.
14. OP should save up on those travel hours by getting a driver’s license.
15. I really wasn’t expecting a comment like this but that’s what you get on Reddit, all sorts of opinions and thoughts.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. What do you guys say, was OP wrong for not walking the dog? Share your votes and thoughts in the comments section down below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“Pretty sure I adopted the live-action version of Puss in Boots.”