Husband disappeared without notice and the wife gave away his biggest responsibility.
If you decided to take upon a responsibility, it’s all yours. You have to look after it and live up to it. You are not supposed to just throw it on someone else and run off, that’s not how it works. Like, okay I can validate the transfer of responsibility if both parties mutually consent to it but throwing the responsibility away is no good.
In today’s story that is exactly what happens and the wife shared the story on the AITA subreddit to ask whether she was right or wrong for giving away the responsibility to someone good, the responsibility her husband threw on her and disappeared away without any notice whatsoever.
The couple had been together for 3 years and married for 2 years. The two decided to mutually pay and get a dog but it was decided pre-hand that it would be the complete responsibility of the husband and not of the wife. A few months later, the husband suddenly disappears without any message or notice for 45 whole days. The wife thought he went missing or had died. The dog was still with her and he had already said it was not her responsibility so she searched for a deserving person and rehomed the dog. I know you guys are wondering, where did the husband go? Well, you have to read through the story to uncover that side of things.
Here’s a very dramatic story about responsibilities.
Scroll down below to read.
1. Yeah if there was a very bad reason behind it. And no, if there was a very valid reason behind it.
2. So it’s a, cute, family of 4 with a husband, a wife, a one year old cute son and an adorable doggo whose the husband’s responsibility but the couple paid for it equally.
3. Oh wow, that was a concerning turn. The husband disappeared for 45 days straight without any notification, message, etc.
4. What does he really mean when he says his cellphone got stolen? He was away for 1 and a half month, is a journalist, so could’ve easily bought a new phone or could have borrowed it at least to notify his wife about his whereabouts and wellbeing. Not nice, husband.
5. Wow, he didn’t even work for the entirety of 45 days. The husband only worked for 3 days and chilled in Italy for the remaining 42. And the wife thought he was dead or something.
6. THe dog was husband’s responsibility, he wasn’t there to take care of it so I think she did the right thing by giving away the dog.
7. And OP didn’t have a liking for dogs in general. Very fair.
8. Should’ve told her where he was then.
I swear this is so inconsiderate of that, ex-husband, for leaving without any notice. The wife got worried which shows she cares for her. And he, he was chilling in Italy bicycling around the streets. Insensitive people don’t deserve your best and that is why I support OP’s decision of taking a divorce.
As far as the rehoming of the dog is concerned, say you know someone who owns a dog and they suddenly disappear for over a month. Obviously, you would think they are either dead or have turned into the sand after Thanos snapped his finger. It was very clear from the start that the dog was the husband’s responsibility. And she didn’t like dogs either. So had she not rehomed the dog, the dog would’ve ultimately suffered. So I support this move as well.
All in all, I vote that OP is NTA and the real asshole, who is currently livid that his ex gave his dog away, is that ex-husband.
Here are a few responses from the internet:
9. Honestly, the dog would’ve suffered and she had to be taken care of.
10. An animal advocate said OP rehoming the dog was the right decision.
11. Exactly, he abandoned them all for a bicycle ride in Italy.
12. As a husband, he was still supposed to inform his damn wife where he was going. It wasn’t an emergency trip, it was a vacation in Italy.
13. There was another side that said OP should’ve inquired more about the husband’s whereabouts before giving the dog away. Maybe she could’ve found some clues after filling a missing person report with the police.
What do you guys think? Was the woman right to rehoming her ex-husband’s dog or not? Share your thoughts in the comments section down below.
I hope you guys enjoyed this one. Stay tuned for more!