Since when did we start associating pets with masculinity?
I mean it is so irrelevant to call someone weak if they have a specific kind of creature as their pet animal. Be it a big German Shepherd or a cute tabby cat, the relationship between a pet and its owner is only based on love, care, and affection. There are no such things are labels, genders, or anything like that when it comes to this bond.
Calling someone girly for getting a cat and manly for getting a dog is outrageous, obnoxious, and baseless. But unfortunately, this is a reality. So many people associate a human’s masculinity with the type of pet animal they have and in today’s story, this is exactly what we are going to touch upon.
Reddit user Throwaway56181 recently posted a story about his girlfriend gifted him a husky instead of a cat because the dog would actually make him look more masculine. OP didn’t want to be unfair to the dog so they decided to return it back to the breeder she got it from. The matter was taken to the sacred community of AITA by OP to know if they were wrong for returning the dog or not.
Scroll down below to read the story!
1. OP’s girlfriend promised to get her boyfriend a cat but when she went out to get it, she ended up returning with a Siberian husky.
2. Clearly this woman is linking cats to girly people and dogs to manly people. And that’s why she decided to get a dog for her boyfriend but OP knew things would never work out because his way of living was incompatible with the lifestyle of the Husky.
3. OP went on a search to find the breeder of the dog and he managed to do so by breaking into his girlfriend’s email account. The family was happy to take the dog back.
4. OP safely returned the dog back to where it came from and didn’t take any refund money either. This, of course, infuriated his girlfriend but must’ve also taught her a lesson.
Here are some of the comments on the story:
5. Since when did we start linking masculinity with the type of animal we live with?
6. OP should dump his girlfriend right away.
7. There goes the whole “unmasculine” theory.
OP was NTA for this one. In fact, he did the absolute right thing by returning the dog back to the breeder. Huskies like space and OP’s apartment was not spacious at all. You don’t want to suffocate a dog for no reason, it would react aggressively obviously. OP thought of the bigger picture while his girlfriend was stuck in the vicious cycle of “masculinity and unmasculinity”.
8. Huskies like long walks and OP knew he couldn’t provide his Husky with that.
9. Oh my god, his girlfriend was being so enforcing.
10. Husky. Is. Not. An. Apartment. Dog.
11. So unfortunate how the Husky had to stay locked in a house. They are not meant to be locked.
12. Can someone get this information through that woman’s brain?
13. We hope OP gets a kitty soon.
Via Renzieface, Throwaway56181
14. I am so glad about OP’s decision to return the dog. He fully deserves to adopt a cat now, the way he dreamed.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section down below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“From a severe case of mange and dumpster diving in the streets of San Antonio to 3 months later loving life, growing, and learning sign language! Meet our deaf dog, Rue!”