In this emotional Reddit post, a couple is faced with a heart-wrenching situation involving their beloved dog, Skipper. Skipper, who has been losing weight rapidly, was initially diagnosed with a high-protein diet recommendation. However, when the weight loss persisted, a follow-up vet visit in February revealed a shockingly large mass in his abdomen.
OP and her boyfriend Jeff have been taking care of Skipper together. OP has been actively involved in Skipper’s care, from providing painkillers and soft foods to tending to his needs during his illness.
As Skipper’s condition gets worse, the vet suggests euthanasia, advising a difficult decision. However, Jeff decides that he doesn’t want anyone present during Skipper’s final moments, even though OP has been deeply involved in his care and loves the dog as her own.
A disagreement ensues, with OP asserting her right to say goodbye to Skipper, while Jeff believes it’s solely his decision as Skipper’s owner. The narrator is torn between her love for Skipper and respecting Jeff’s wishes.
Now OP wants to know if she shows up at the appointment to say her final goodbyes even if Jeff doesn’t want her there would it make her an A-hole? Keep on scrolling down below to dive deeper into this scenario.
1. OP’s boyfriend’s dog got sick and started losing weight they took him to the vet and they recommended high protein diet but unfortunately the dog has been growing a big mass in his abdomen
2. Now the dog’s condition is getting worse day by day and it is losing a significant amount of weight and doesn’t have any energy left, it was Jeff’s first dog.
3. As the Skipper isn’t doing well OP and her girlfriend scheduled an euthanasia to stop the suffering of the dog
4. OP has been there for Skipper and took care of him since he has been sick
5. Now Jeff has decided that OP won’t be going to the appointment because he doesn’t want anyone there and this has been bothering OP because she and Skipper also had a bond, and OP wants to be with him there.
6. OP told Jeff that Skipper is her dog too and she deserves a chance to say goodbye but Jeff said it is not her right to do and it’s his decision because Skipper is his dog
7. Jeff said OP can’t be here because this is how he grieves
8. Jeff got frustrated and said to OP that he didn’t want her there but OP wanted to be there for him because she feels like it’s her dog too and she loved him
9. Now OP wants to know if would she be an A-hole for showing up to the appointment to say her goodbyes even if her boyfriend doesn’t want her there.
10. This user suggested OP say her goodbyes to Skipper before his appointment
11. She already suggested him and I guess he just doesn’t want her to be there
12. This user has a solid point, what do you think about this?
13. Yes, everyone grieves differently but Jeff needs to realize that OP has been there for Skipper as much as he has so he needs to acknowledge that it’s somehow her dog too
15. While this user suggested OP to not go there but to meet each other halfway in that regard
16. Almost everyone said OP is NTA
17. This user says OP is NTA and it would be a deal breaker for her
Let us know what you think about this post in the comment section below and don’t forget to like and share it with your friends and family. Stay tuned with Defused for more content. Thank You!