There is a very thin line between being a rebel and being an a**hole.
Times have changed a lot. With our society modernizing at an unprecedented rate, the younger generation, especially the teenagers, are actually finding it hard to grip onto a correct path. And this often makes these teenagers forget the true meaning of being a rebel as they wander down the wrong route and turn into someone their parents didn’t expect them to be.
Today, we have a story for you that was posted on Reddit by user u/DramaticShame6177. The matter was shared with the sacred community of r/AmITheA**hole. The story was posted by a Dad whose son had suddenly started calling his parents by their first names instead of using Mom or Dad. He mentions that their son is at the age of 15, which trust me is a terrible age phase to be in. Upon being asked to stop calling them by their first names, the son refused. The Dad then decided to rebel back by saying he won’t acknowledge his son as his own blood until he stops calling him by his first name.
Scroll down below to read the story!
1. Rebellious teen started calling mother and father by their first names. Very interesting.
2. OP posted on Reddit how him being a father deserves to be called “Dad” by his son instead of the way he refers to him by his first name.
3. The son, who is in his teenage, just kept referring to his father by his first name which did feel disrespectful to his dad but he chose to ignore it at first.
4. His mom was kinda okay with being called by her first name and she told her husband it’s just a phase that will pass. But Dad wasn’t having any of it.
5. Dad refused to call his teen his son until he would call him his dad.
This is actually as simple as an AH or NTA, to be honest. I think whoever votes on this, would depend entirely on how they take this matter. Would they read the situation like the mother and be okay with it or would they read it like the father and not be okay with it? I personally would read this situation like the father because, in our culture, it is considered disrespectful to call anyone who is older than you by their first name. By older I mean in terms of the relationship i.e. uncle, aunt, dad, mom, etc.
So, I will not be voting for one party but if I was forced to choose one, I would say the Dad choose a good strategy to teach his son a lesson for the greater good.
Here is what everyone had to say on the matter:
6. They really don’t understand the true concept of a revolution.
7. The son must understand how to respect his elders.
8. Teenagers tend to use their backbones more than their brains.
9. Straight to the point.
10. It all depends on how you perceive it. This person’s dad was cool with being called by his first name, but story Dad wasn’t. It’s the game of cultures, as I said earlier.
So, what do you guys think? Was the son right or wrong for calling his father by his first name? Should calling your parents by their first names be associated with levels of respect? Share your thoughts and opinions in the comments section down below.
I hope you guys enjoyed this one. Stay tuned for more stories.