No matter how mature of an adult you become, for your parents, you will always be a child.
This is so true. Be you are a successful businessman/woman running a $30 Billion company and generating huge profits thanks to your maturity, and experience, which led to good business strategies, and let’s put a bit of age in the mix too, you will know why. As soon as you find some time out of your busy schedule to make it back home just in time for big events like Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and so on, know that to your parents you will always be a child. That multibillionaire businessman will never achieve the status of adulthood because his/her parents’ concerns will still be related to how well their child has been, has he/she has been fulfilling their daily nutritional requirements, is he/she is a good social circle. This is the story of every family.
And that “child” will always feel offended by such parental concerns and he/she will always try to respond in a way that establishes the fact that they are confident in their abilities and are independent enough to take care of themself.
In today’s story, we have a Redditor who has a pretty loud family that likes to show itself off. OP got invited to a huge birthday party of her cousins thrown by her aunt. But OP was always reluctant of going because according to her, every time she would attend a family event, her parents would embarrass her by treating her like a little child. Her family is pretty controlling and that is not liked by OP.
OP’s parents managed to convince her into attending the wedding with a solid promise that the two would not annoy her and that she would not be treated like a child the way it happens every time. The result? OP got annoyed, embarrassed, and got treated as a child.
Scroll down below to read the story to see how it all went down and why OP had to refer to the sacred community of AITA for this matter.
1. Well it isn’t a nice thing to do but let’s not jump the gun yet.
2. When you live in close proximity to your mutuals, you tend to meet them quite frequently and it is bound to result in embarrassing moments, especially when you have a family like that of OP
3. Now OP’s aunt has thrown a mega party and she does not want to attend it because gatherings like the such always result in OP getting annoyed for being treated like a child by her parents.
And her mutuals were also going to be there so you can develop an idea of what she was expecting…
4. OP’s parents did manage to make her attend the party but the underlying promises about her being left alone were all trickery to make her be at the event. Yes, her family kept embarrassing and annoying her.
5. This her annoyance reaching its saturation level, OP decided to leave the party, thanks to her mother literally trying to spoon-feed her, and this resulted in every one considering OP the AH, including her aunt.
Here’s what the members of the AITA community had to vote and say:
6. A very solid advice.
7. OP is surrounded by narcissists.
I don’t get it. Do her parents do such things to her to annoy her? Well, then that is very bad. If that parents’ behavior genuinely is annoying and they would embarrass anyone they interact with, then a certain type of rationale can be developed but according to the story, they were only trying to control OP and no one else. The Dad’s anger is totally unexplainable, it’s just dumb, to say the least. And the mother forcing OP to eat and get a tattoo is really obnoxious. OP did right by leaving the event. She was NTA.
8. They only wanted to humiliate her.
9. Just don’t get convinced to attend one of these family events again.
10. 9-year-olds only care about other 9-year-olds, the cake, and the gifts.
11. They broke their promise, you had the right to break yours.
12. It happens in a lot of families and it is sad.
13. Maybe that will teach them a lesson.
14. Basically OP needs to relocate somewhere else to get out of all this hassle.
15. Yet another Redditor advised OP to find a place as far as possible from her family…it would help immensely.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your votes and thoughts in the comments section down below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
Via rkloost / Reddit
“My dad and his neighbor agreed to take in these stray cats who live in their gardens and pay for them together.”