Many bad companies engage in wage theft and can get in serious trouble if taken to a court of law for it…or just confronted for it as well. It’s because they know they are doing something illegal and no matter how they try to counter the “allegations”, things will not go in the company’s favor as the employees might actually start leaving the company altogether if there is no legal action taken by the authorities. So, it is better to not mess with your employees because they can literally make or break the company…or at least teach its leaders a message they will certainly remember forever.
Today, we have a story for you guys that got posted on the infamous subreddit “Malicious Compliance“, you know how beautiful those ones are to read. The story was about an employee who stood up against a terrible policy that got implemented which was for all the employees, including the salaried employees, to sign a time card. For salaried employees, there is no need for a time card because they are already paid for working 40 hours per week. The company then announced it would reward the employees with 1 hour of sick leave for every 40 hours worked. When OP heard about this, who is a salaried employee, started filling his time card with punctuality. He then went to the HR manager to have his PTOs accrued for all the hours he worked and fed in the time card but was rejected. HR said he was a salaried employee and he already gets paid regardless of whether he worked 40 hours in a week or not. The whole time card policy backfired there and then and OP complained about the matter to the council and the situation went to the labor board eventually.
Scroll down below to read.
1. OP worked in a small but publicly traded company.
2. The company made some movies and expanded its roots into a Department of Defense contracting business as well.
3. The company decided that all the salaried employees working in the company would have to sign a time card, instead of only those working on the DoD projects.
4. OP paid attention to this and I am sure this will play well in his favor later on.
5. Turns out the new sick leave system did not work and OP went to HR to ask why…they had no answer.
6. Thanks to OP and some workers having to travel for work, they registered over 120 hours of work which was mostly travel time.
7. But for all those hours, again no PTOs were accrued and OP along with those other employees approached HR again.
8. No, Mr. HR. We will not commit crimes here.
You cannot tell your salaried employee that you are a salaried employee and that is why your PTO accruals are not adjusted because you just imposed a policy that all employees working in the company have to sign a time card. If the salaried employees will be paid for 40 hours per week regardless of them actually putting in 40 hours, what was the point of making them sign time cards in the first place? This just shows how dumb the boss is in this organization.
9. The issue was brought up previously but HR didn’t have any answer at the time.
10. OP had already complained to the general counsel.
11. The employees got adjusted for all their PTOs and one of the workers also reported the issue to the labor board.
Here are some of the comments shared on the story:
12. A debate on good HR managers being very rare.
13. They literally did that for absolutely no reason, making the salaried employees sign time cards. Like, there was zero rationale provided for bringing in the new policy. As if there was a major communication gap within the whole company.
14. The correction was made in the main story. It was 1 hour of sick leave for 40 hours of work.
15. Wage theft cannot be ignored and I am glad OP didn’t.
16. The whole system was just not in place.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“I trapped Sushi when he was 17 weeks old with an infected neck wound. 8 months later, love and patience have turned my former feral into a cuddle-loving cat.”
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings