This mom told her highly successful niece she had the potential to be just like her daughter and has no idea why that was impolite. She uploaded her story to the r/AmITheA**hole subreddit of Reddit, and despite how she dressed up her side of the event, it was very clear that she did, in fact, overstep. For starters, her niece is a diligent worker who attended an Ivy League institution (not that this is a measure of success by any means) and landed a high-ranking position with a government agency. She also has a partner who works as a lawyer (again, not a measure of success, but it does demonstrate that this young woman has a lot going for her).
Clearly, her aunt is deeply envious. Her kid did not attend a prestigious school and obtained her job through a family connection. Her daughter marrying first is basically the only thing the aunt can think of that her niece does not have yet. And why should her niece be in a hurry? She’s clearly in a happy relationship and on her way to a successful career. The original poster clearly has messed up priorities or a chip on her shoulder, in our opinion. She probably resents her niece’s accomplishments in comparison to her daughter’s and is relying on “settling down” as the true measure of success to make herself feel better. Yikes! Return this woman to the 1950s!
1. This si the part where OP is telling about his niece’s and daughter’s life and accomplishments
2. OP’s daughter got engaged where she met Tony who was a great guy
3. Eva was happy about Laura and was talking when OP said something that offended her, now OP asks AITA.
4. Similar feelings
6. The words should be chosen wisely as anyone can be hurt
7. That is some good insight into the issue
Share your thoughts down below.