Adopting a pet animal is a huge responsibility you take upon because it feels exactly like having a child. You have to look after its health, feed it on time, and make sure it stays happy and feels loved. This means you don’t only have to provide it with undying affection but also have to be somewhat financially stable in order to provide it with high-quality food and be prepared for those expensive vet visits.
At times it is not possible to stay with your pet for many reasons that make you really busy. In such cases, you either send your pet to a daycare center or maybe ask your parent, a relative, or a friend to take care of it. In today’s story, OP resorted to her mother.
OP adopted a dog named Penny. When she had to go to university, she knew she couldn’t take Penny with her so she asked her mother if she could take care of the dog to which she agreed. While away OP would send over money to her mother in order for her to take care of the dog’s expenses, so she was being very responsible even when she was 200 miles away.
Once OP returned to her mother’s house after completing her degree, she found a job and decided to move out. This meant she would take Penny with her. But her brother and SIL didn’t want to let go of Penny. They argued they had bonded with the dog and it would be unfair of OP to separate them. OP refused and took Penny away and got called an AH for that.
Scroll down below to read how it all went down.
1. When OP went to university she asked her mother to take responsibility for her dog to which she agreed.
It was not going to be possible for OP to return home frequently to look after Penny because her university was 200 miles away but she would still send home money to take care of her expenses…which is a good thing. This way her mother will only have to take care of the dog and not worry about the expenditure that goes into taking care.
2. After completing her degree and securing a job, OP decided to move out of her mother’s house and which meant she would take Penny with her as well, but her brother stopped her.
3. Her brother didn’t want her to take Penny away from him and his girlfriend as they had bonded with the dog strong enough to let it go.
4. The siblings burst into a major fight as OP took Penny with her to her apartment.
5. Since then her brother and her SIL’s family have been calling her disgusting and a major AH for taking Penny away.
6. Without adequate finances how could’ve OP’s brother supported the dog?
OP was NTA in this story. It is very clear had OP left the dog with her brother they wouldn’t have been able to take care of it because they didn’t have the money to do so. It is a reality that everyone must understand that love is not the only asset you need to care for your pet animal, you require financing. Imagine if OP had given the dog to her brother and had said she will not be taking care of her expenditure, the brother would’ve instantly backed out. The only reason why they were happy to have the dog was they didn’t have to care about spending money on it. That automatically kept happening.
Here are some of the comments shared on the story:
7. Penny is OP’s dog. She paid for her food, her health, her everything. So OP deserves to take her anywhere she wants.
8. Ideally too it is OP’s dog so she is the only person who should be responsible for it and she was showing responsibility by taking Penny with her to her new apartment.
9. Getting attached to a dog doesn’t mean you suddenly own it.
10. Not wrong.
11. The biggest factor is that they cannot provide for the dog.
12. Nothing can change the fact that Penny is OP’s dog.
13. This is terrible.
15. Welcome to the real world.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“Old man is deaf. Waking him up using my scent so I don’t spook him by touching him when he’s asleep. Here’s the moment he knows it me by my scent. Good old boi.”
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings