It is very rare to see employees being appreciated for helping out other members.
Normally in life when you help somebody out with something they can’t figure out or need help with, you get appreciated and thanked for exhibiting such a positive behavior. And that is the right way to respond to someone who has just done a favor for you or helped you with something. I am sure the majority of us agree on this. This is an ideal situation, how things should be. It is not necessary that you will always be dealt this way for doing a favor for, someone. This often happens in the corporate world. Employees who want to achieve higher and higher milestones often engage in organizational citizenship behavior which is to do positive acts once you are done with your own duty. This includes helping your subordinates, bosses, and extra work that you voluntarily do to benefit the organization. And it is not always that you will get an acknowledgment from your bosses or managers for doing favors for them. Even if you do it out of courtesy, the best advice I can give to these employees is to just stop doing it because they don’t deserve your good help.
Today’s story is about such employee who wanted to spread greater god in the organization but never got appreciated for it. They would often help out their boss with many tasks even during lunch breaks just because they wanted to help everyone out and build the organization strong as a whole. You can’t really argue with that until one day their boss saw them eating lunch after the lunch break because they were busy helping the boss himself during that time, and the boss was actually asked to not eat after or before lunch breaks. They were also asked to not eat in the work area. This whole scenario occurred just after he had helped his boss with something during the said lunch break in which the employee was supposed to eat.
I really have no idea why the boss did what he did even after knowing that the employee dedicated his entire lunch break, multiple times, to help their boss out.
Let’s read the story down below from OP and dig out what actually happened.
Scroll down below to read the dramatic story.
1. Employees often sacrifice so much of their leisure time for the top management but the management should be fair in terms of not overburdening the employees all the time.
By the sound of it, it feels like OP has no problem with working for the company during lunch break, which I respect. But they shouldn’t waste all of their lunch breaks just because they don’t say anything.
2. So the same boss who sent OP to submit company documents during their lunch break, asked the hungry person to not eat after the lunch break. Where is the sense in this?
It’s like she already came prepared with that response and this is sad because the employer needs to have enough sentiment to keep their employees attracted to the job. And it is food, after all, what loss would it cause if they eat it after or before lunch break.
3. First first two points clearly suggest eating after lunch break was not going to cause any issues with value generation.
So why would that rude boss as them to not eat in an empty office space and by the microwave? This one is beyond me.
4. Oh look here comes the boss again wanting someone to do her errands during the lunch break.
If OP has any brains, they should not respond to their boss. Enough is enough.
5. Now that is how you are supposed to deal with entitled bosses who think they can throw their responsibilities on anyone’s shoulders just because they think they can.
I would’ve loved t see the look on that boss’ face getting all that stock out. Must’ve been absolutely hilarious for the OP to enjoy this sight while casually munching on their gum.
6. This is how you put them in their place without actually breaking any rules.
This was so good. I hope this taught the boss a good lesson I mean, no one should mean harm to anyone and I think OP didn’t help their boss this time because they wanted the boss to know that they can’t just randomly throw responsibilities on anyone’s shoulders and then don’t even acknowledge or respect how helpful they were.
It is not easy to put in a 9 to 5 day in and day out. Employee efforts need to be recognized because if organizations don’t focus on their employees, their ships will never be able to stay afloat. It is bound to sink. So this boss should realize her employees’ worth as soon as possible before things go south for her store.
Here’s how the Redditors responded to this story:
7. That is nice and I hope their boss has no problem with that because they are breaking no rules.
8. Many learn it the hard way. Employees work for the company or management that represents the company, not individuals.
9. People who work remotely are safe from such troubles.
10. One Redditor advised leaving the workplace during lunch break, that way no one would interrupt you.
11. Many people here preferred sleeping during lunch breaks which is cool, no one to bother you as you peacefully drift off.
12. It really does messes with you, this unfortunate attitude that such bosses exhibit.
13. It is the employee’s lunch break, no one should poke nose into what they do and what they don’t during that hour.
14. People suggested to OP that it was illegal of the boss to give them work during lunch break. I think they would fully sue the store.
15. Sleep clinics, they help.
Now it’s your turn to give your thoughts on this story. Share them in the comments section down below and you really don’t have to filter your emotions on this one. We will be reading all your responses.
Stay tuned for more stories like this one.