Getting a DNA test is not that exciting. But it’s an excitement that can be interpreted in many ways. For example if you wanna learn about your heritage and where you come from? Do you, however, accept that there is a non-zero chance that you will also learn something you wish you have never learned at all? You know, a dark family secret like your dad isn’t really your dad, or that you were adopted, or the fact that you have married your first cousin? Getting a DNA test can be quite thrilling. Speaking of which, a Redditor recently shared a story of how he ended up figuring the latter out by simply gifting his wife a DNA test kit.
1. While DNA tests are great inventions, they can turn you on and point out that the person you married is actually a cousin or something
Image credits: Vivian Evans (not the actual photo)
Reddit user u/PM_MeMyPassword recently went to the TIFU, or Today I Effed Up, subreddit with quite a unique story. Both OP and his wife grew up in a same small town in South. Both of their families have been living there for quite some while. Both of these individuals had previous marriages and 3 kids from each of those marriages and they haven’t planned to have more kids now that they are together. Last year OP got his wife an Ancestry DNA kit as a gift. Apparently, she wanted to know more about her European roots, and her sister decided to do the same. Scroll down below to know what really happened.
2. In this case, that is exactly what happened to this man, leading to his now-viral post on the TIFU subreddit
3. His wife wanted to know about her European roots so they decided to get DNA test
4. Oh shit no
As you might have guessed that what would have happened. So the results came in and the tests began making connections that they didn’t expect. Apparently, OP’s wife is genetically related to his mother, oldest son his uncle, this is where most people in this situation would get a sense of impending doom. This was quite surprising for them.
So, they asked the wife’s mother about the relations here, and she started crying and explains that when she was younger, she once overheard someone claim that her father is not who she always thought her dad was. She simply put it out of her mind, convinced herself it was a mere rumor. Turns out, not quite.
5. After seeing a number of connections confirmed by the test, OP did some detective work and verified the results with the mothers who also turned out to be half-sisters
6. Wait what?
7. This isn’t good for OP I guess
9. I feel pity for them
10. Some of yall are freaks
11. It’s time to move to Alabama
12. This information should stay in the family
13. This is heartbreaking 🙁
15. It is unlikely to be an issue genetically
16. What do you think, who’s fault is this?
17. Point to be noted
18. It’s been a wild ride dude
19. Somebody needs to talk
21. There are a lot of people going through the same problem
22. He’s right, what do you think?
Let us know what do you think about this post in the comment section below. Don’t forget to like and share. Stay tuned with Defused for more fun content. Thank You!