Who’s up for some wholesome pictures of our rescued pets?
But before we get to that, we’d like to talk about the number of pets that are being adopted. While it is difficult to acquire accurate data from US Shelters and Rescue groups as there is no central reporting system in place, along with that, many states are not even expected to report the numbers. But there have been some estimates and the numbers tell us that around 6.5 million dogs and cats are brought into shelters every year. Now that is a huge number! And there must be more animals! However, it is important to note that its number is still an improvement from the 20+ million animals rescued in 1973. Things have gotten much better since the public has been more supportive and helpful towards the animal welfare organizations.
All rescued animals glow up differently when they get adopted. Scroll below to see some adorable rescued animals. I am drowning in the cuteness!
1. “We Adopted A Horse That Was Going To Be Slaughtered. This Is My 2 Year Old Braiding Her Hair And Singing To Her While She Eats”
2. “Adopted Roy a week ago. I am his third owner and he had been in the shelter since last October. They warned me it might take some time for him to warm up to me”
Animals have to adjust to the new shelter they are brought into. It is difficult for animals to adjust to new surroundings. Sarah Bhimani, the Internal Communications and Content Producer at AHS, talked about how it is different for every animal on how they get used to a new environment.
“We have different strategies to help these animals be comfortable, including housing them in offices (which tend to be quieter and away from other animals), extra enrichment (toys, treats, time with staff and volunteers), and occasionally prescribing anti-anxiety medication,” she told.
3. One-eyed jack!
4. “Hi Meet Salem! Adopted Friday The 13th! He Likes To Stick His Tongue Out At You”
5. “This is pudding, I adopted him. He has no teeth so keeping his tongue inside is hard.”
Bhimani suggests what it means having so many animals come through AHS: “some dogs or cats may catch a respiratory infection (similar to the common cold in humans) while in the shelter (commonly referred to as kennel cough in dogs and upper respiratory infection, or URI, in cats).”
Thankfully, Animal Humane Society has the necessary protocols on catering to animals with respiratory infections to ensure the safety of other animals.
6. “My partner did not want to get a cat, then a stray adopted us”
7. Misa recently got adopted!
8. These love bugs are never going to let the owner leave the house.
It requires the effort and time of the new owner to help the new pet feel comfortable. Bhimani made few suggestions on what could help both the owner and the pet. She mentioned how the owner should ensure they have the required materials: the litter box, cat litter, food, and water bowls, and some toys to keep them happy.
9. Felix got adopted by a loving human being!
10 It took him two weeks after adoption to get comfortable enough to sit like this.
11. Tiny creature in a box!
12. Big cat adopts a tiny kitten!
13. She was named Vixie after The Fox and The Hound
14. 12-year-old George has the biggest yawn!
15. “Her name is Shiva and she loves to nap”
16. “She is the first cat I have ever had and she is also the sweetest one I have ever known”
17. Feral Kitten with big eyes!
18. “My new adopted Cosmo! He has black galaxy eyes”
19. Sweet pup!
20 “Adopted 14 weeks old brothers. Everyone meet pancakes and Waffles! They love to snuggle you or each other”
21. “We adopted a dog a few weeks ago and the cat is finally ready to hate him up close”
22. Meet little Wendy!
23. A pregnant momma!
24. Quietest kitten ever!
25. “I adopted Otto, an 8-year-old Boston Terrier from the shelter last week. This was his face when he saw his new home for the first time”
26. “In a span of two days we adopted this baby and got engaged”
27. Precious munchkin!
28. Meet Rhett!
29. “75lbs of cuddles”
30. This puppy instantly got comfortable in the arms of his new owner!
31. Waiting for my human to feed me treats!
32. This little guy is happy after getting a soft flower crown!
33. The one with blue eyes!
34. A tiny devil!
35. My name is Bagheera, I always look surprised
36. 4lb of cuteness. Meet Binx!
37. “My son…asked me if he could get one if he paid for the adoption and monthly expenses”
38. A marble loaf among all the soft goods in the bakery!
39. Give me attention or I will come for your food!
40. This is how two cats sleep when they are siblings!
41. “I adopted this little guy yesterday morning. He slept glued to my side and follows me everywhere. Even to the bathroom”
42. They sleep like there is no tomorrow
43. It took me a minute to realize the dog’s face is upside down!
44. Newly adopted a golden kitten!
45. Let me do the laundry today, mama!
46. “Today we adopted a kitty rescued off the street 3 days ago”
47. Bunny with one ear down! He is listening to your conversations with the other one
48. Ugh, I cannot handle how adorable she is!
49. “Little nugget”
50. She is waiting to be named by her new owners!
The happiness of these babies after getting adopted is unmatched. Nothing can top how cheerful and rested animals look after being loved by their new parents. I hope all rescued animals get adopted!
Have you ever adopted a rescued animal? Share your story in the comments!