Is it just me or are dress codes unnecessary?
Dress codes are used everywhere to maintain a formal environment. Whether it is work or school, it is mandatory for staff members or students to wear clothes according to the dress code and if they fail to do so, they will get in trouble. Recently, a lot of people have been questioning the need for a dress code. They think it is just a useless rule made up to control people. How does a dress affect the way people do their jobs? How does a dress affect the way students study? It is completely unrelated to their jobs. As long as people are doing what they are supposed to do, it does not matter what they are wearing. It is not a fashion show. It is real life. We need efficiency and clothes should be the least of our problems.
However, some people do not understand that. This Redditor shared a story about an IT guy who worked in the manufacturing industry and had to forcefully wear a suit and tie at all costs. This meant he could not wear safety gear and was denied access to the places he was needed. This got the company in a lot of trouble. Scroll down below to read the whole story:
1. This guy tells us about himself and his father-in-law working in a company that has very high security demands.
2. There’s only one IT guy in the company.
3. Some error occurs while the IT guy isn’t allowed to work because of security protocols.
4. He explains his case and why it’s unfair for them to not allow him to work while the board ignores his emails.
5. The staff members look into his work and allow him to work.
6. In short, karma gets the company.
This is what other Redditors had to say.
This guy talks on behalf of his personal experince.
I kind of feel bad for the poor IT guy. He was just trying to do his job and it was all ruined due to him wearing jeans. I am sure wearing jeans does not affect the way he works even the slightest bit. People need to loosen up and think rationally when it comes to dressing codes. If it is not needed, just let go of it.
What is your opinion on dress codes? Are they necessary or just a waste of time? Share your opinions with us in the comments below.