Being a dog owner is a massive responsibility that not everyone can take on.
Having a dog at your house is nothing short of bliss. It’s not only the dog present at your house but also the happiness, joy, care, and love that it brings with it and no one would mind these guests staying at their house forever. After all, with the current stressful environment that we are all living in, this is what we need and dogs are doing everything in their power to help their owners out. They are absolutely amazing in every department but their energetic selves are a huge responsibility as well. Yes, whatever I mentioned is a reality and dogs really do change their owners’ lives for the good, they are living beings and they need to be taken care of like living beings. That means you have to make sure the dog is well fed, it is healthy, it is happy, it gets its sleep, it has its daily walk, and so on and so forth. Dog owners would be well familiar with all the responsibilities that come up with a dog adoption. All of this can be costly and time taking so be sure to have a good grip on your nerves because you may lose your head in the process, at times. Adopting requires a high level of commitment because even if you have formed that inseparable bond, you still are the owner and you have to take care of that animal like it is your child.
And can you guys guess what happens when you add another dog into the mix? Of course, more bliss and more of all the good stuff I mentioned but the responsibility increases ten folds. One has its challenges but two have its CHALLENGES. So it is very important to sit down, assess your capacity, be sure you can take on the responsibility, and then decide if you want to adopt another dog or not.
A Reddit user shared how difficult things have been dealing with their newly adopted dog. They posted this story on the subreddit Am I The A$$hole? to ask a genuine question. She shared that they had a lot of pets but her mother adopted a dog and brought it home. She mentions her mother is always busy and that results in her having to take care of the dog which is not easy and she can’t do it anymore. She feels it is not fair because she never agreed to take on the responsibility. Hence, she puts a question before the AITA community members to know whether she would be wrong for asking her mom to send the dog back to the shelter.
Scroll down below to read!
1. OP’s mother loves animals as much as OP does but a bit too extreme…and not in a good way.
2. The mom loves rescuing animals and bringing them home. One of them, a cat, got on OP’s nerves after ruining all her stuff.
3. Mom brings home another one of her rescues, this time a dog, who OP had no idea about.
Why would she bring home a dog covered in fleas? And no potty training means more responsibility.
4. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done on Abby and because the mom is a busy woman, all the responsibility would fall on OP.
5. Things just didn’t seem to work out as Abby was kind of enforced on OP and she just wasn’t ready to take on that responsibility just yet.
OP would never be the AH if she asked her mother to return the dog. In fact, it would be in the best interest of the dog because not being taken proper care of would be unfair to the dog and OP would also feel bad for not taking proper care of the dog. All of this should be understood by the mother who is the real AH here, a hoarder if you ask me.
Here are some of the comments by the AITA members. The mom won’t like it.
6. Mom brought the dog, mom should be responsible for it.
7. I still don’t understand why did she bring home an animal covered in fleas. The mother should know herself it wasn’t the right decision to bring the dog home.
8. OP needs to have a solid conversation with her mom to let her know she has to take a step back.
9. OP needs to let her mother know she is not having a great time with the pets she brings in.
10. OP’s well-being is the most important factor here.
11. When your pets don’t gel, there’s a problem.
12. The mom has to do her part.
13. Ask but with care.
14. Yeah, she does give away those animal hoarder vibes.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Please share your thoughts in the comments section down below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
Via Cetot / Reddit
“This stray beauty’s name is Spring. She has a habit of jumping on me and hugging me whenever I step outside of my house. I managed to take a picture just before she jumped on me again. I’ve never seen a stray cat that loved hugging as much as her before, and I’m thinking of adopting her.”