You can only put so much in a movie.
If you take my opinion on the Harry Potter series, I would say it is way more than just books or movies. With millions and millions of fans all over the world, J.K. Rowling’s wizarding world has formed into a community gelled together with the strongest adhesive there is. The movies have played a huge part in molding the futures of so many kids in a positive way. Whenever I talk about my childhood, I will always mention Harry Potter. When they announced Fantastic Beasts, I genuinely got goosebumps and I am sure so did you, because all the memories of the wizarding world came right back.
Now if you have read the books, you would know a lot has been cut out of the movies. The overall story remains the same but many details have been excluded because there is a time constraint on movies. During production, the movie is about 10 times the size it is when it is released in the theatres. A lot of the scenes get deleted and don’t make it into the final cut. Now I don’t really know the thought process that goes behind what scene to delete and what scene to cut but it is for sure that the moviemakers have the best interest of the fans in their head before making such a decision. These deleted scenes are then released in an extended cut or as part of a small surprise along with the movie when the Blu-Ray is released.
Today we are going to look at some Harry Potter scenes that didn’t make it to the theatrical cut. And trust me, you’d wish they had kept these scenes in.
Scroll down below to enjoy!
1. In Deathly Hallows when Order of the Pheonix plans to escort the Dursleys, Dudley thanks Harry and says he was not a waste of space as Dursley shakes Harry’s hand.
2. Aunt Petunia, in this deleted scene, tells Harry that she had emotions for her sister and that she still mourns Lily’s death.
3. Ginny lets out some family secrets related to tattoos in front of Harry.
4. This scene remove from The Deathly Hallows show us a jealous Ron which lets us know that he has feelings for Hermione.
5. This scene of Lupin and Tonks holding each other should’ve been in the final cut.
6. The scene where Hermione teaches Ron for the exams just so he doesn’t copy her work.
7. In this scene from Half-Blood Prince, Snape can be seen contemplating every decision he had made to get to this point. He nailed it but unfortunately the scene did not make the cut.
8. Aunt Petunia finds some letters in her egg box. This scene was kept in the extended cut of Sorcerer’s Stone and was not in the theatrical cut.
9. There’s a deleted scene in Sorcerer’s Stone where Ron advises Harry not to go back to the Mirror of Erised again as it is not in his best interest.
10. This adorable scene where Hermione holds on to Crookshanks in Prisoner of Azkaban.
11. In this scene, Aunt Petunia dyes Dudley’s old uniform into Harry’s uniform colors so he can wear it to his school.
12. The only scene where you can see Peeves the Poltergeist was removed from the final cut.
13. There’s a scene cut from Sorcerer’s Stone where Hagrid and Harry can be seen taking the London Tube travel.
14. A scene that was supposed to be in Sorcerer’s Stone where Severus directly looks into Harry’s eyes and probably notices that he has his mother’s eyes.
15. In this deleted scene from the first film, Ron apologizes to Hermione for making fun of her. The bond only grows stronger from then on.
There’s only one thing I can say and that is I absolutely love the way Harry Potter movies are. Yes, these scenes would’ve made it better but as a director, you have to think of a lot of things and that should be respected. Just happy that these scenes are available on the internet and we can always go through them.
Scroll down below to continue.
16. Professor Trelawney randomly starts eating when she gets distracted in Order of the Pheonix.
17. I don’t know why they deleted this scene of Ginny grabbing Harry’s hands to calm him in Deathly Hallows.
18. There was going to be a scene in Half-Blood Prince in which Harry and Hermione have a detailed conversation about Ron.
19. This scene is in the extended cut of Chamber of Secrets where Harry and Ron almost run into Crabbe and Goyle as disguised Crabbe and Goyle.
20. Luna and Harry have an emotional conversation after Dobby passes away in Deathly Hallows. This should have been kept in.
21. The Pajama Murder Party (book readers would know) was entirely cut from Prisoner of Azkaban.
22. Ron shows concern for Harry in this scene and comes into the dorm to check in on him just before the feast.
23. A cute moment between Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows as he teaches her how to skip rocks on the water.
24. In Prisoner of Azkaban Harry shares how he had the perfect chance to kill Sirius there and then. Good thing he didn’t or else he would’ve just added into his list of regrets.
25. This scene in Chambers of Secrets where the audience is familiarized with Lucious as being a terrible father to Draco was deleted.
26. Time and time again Ron and Hermione showed their confidence in Harry and affirmed him to not doubt himself, and that happened in a deleted scene from Chambers of Secrets as well.
27. A music performance on the Yule Ball was deleted from Goblet of Fire.
28. There was going to be Hogwarts Hymn in the movies.
29. There’s a deleted scene where Umbridge interrupts Trelawney’s class and asks her to predict something on the spot. That is when Professor Trelawney makes stuff up like Umbridge is in danger which she ignored and walks away.
I really hope you guys enjoyed it. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section down below.