Reddit user u/slomuscletherapist has a dog, Bear, who doesn’t know when to stop eating. This is a problem as overeating can make dogs seriously ill and the owners end up spending a lot on their pets to make sure they are okay. That is exactly what happened in today’s story but there is a blame game involved that makes the story really interesting and generates curiosity.
OP shared she lives with her roommate who is also her best friend. The issue with her is that she is very careless about her stuff. One day when she returned from from an event, she decided to leave her luggage outside in the yard to take care of it later. What she forgot was that the luggage had some food in it including beef sticks. Although OP had put in place all sorts of arrangements to make sure her dog didn’t overeat, Bear managed to go in the yard and he ate all the leftover food in the roommate’s luggage.
Bear ended up being diagnosed with pancreatitis and OP had to square a bill of $800. OP believes her dog got sick by eating her roommate’s food so she should be the one paying the bill. The roommate apologized for what happened but didn’t pay.
OP took the matter to the subreddit “Am I The A$$hole?” to know if she should make her roommate pay the $800 bill or not. Scroll down below to read the story!
1. Let’s find out why this situation came to be.
2. OP’s roommate is also her best friend. Those kinds of roommates really stick.
3. OP’s best friend isn’t the best when it comes to taking proper care of her or OP’s stuff.
4. OP doesn’t care much about it because her friend is a genuinely nice person.
5. Coming to the story. OP shared that her dog Bear goes crazy when it comes to eating. Because he would eat anything he sees, OP has made sure to add layers of protection around the house so Bear doesn’t overeat.
6. One time, though, when OP’s friend returned home from Burning Man, she left her luggage outside in the yard and came inside to take care of it later.
7. The luggage had beef sticks in it and some other food too. Bear went in the yard and I think you guys can guess what happened next. The dog ate all that stuff.
8. The food reacted and Bear ended up getting diagnosed with pancreatitis. OP had to spend a bill of $800 to make sure her dog was okay. OP informed her friend about this.
I won’t give 100% blame to OP’s friend. Yes, she was careless and shouldn’t have left her bags outside knowing they had food in them. Dogs like going in the yards and it must have smelled the beef from far away. So yes, the friend is to be blamed but knowing that her dog goes crazy when it comes to eating, OP should have been a better supervisor. She shouldn’t have let her dog go outside. She mentioned in the story the way she has put locks on everything so Bear doesn’t overeat anything so not letting her dog go outside should be a part of this security arrangement.
I think the two should split the bill. That is how it should be done. Let’s see what happens next. Scroll down below to continue reading!
9. The friend apologized to OP for what happened but didn’t pay. OP, however, felt the dog got sick because of the food it ate in her friend’s bag so she should pay the bill.
Here are some of the comments shared on the story:
10. The dog could have passed. You never know what could have happened.
11. Her carelessness caused this, she should pay.
12. OP got called an AH for not supervising her dog properly.
13. This person said both parties were wrong so the bill should be split among both friends.
14. An update was shared by OP as an edit to the original story. The two had a mutual consensus on splitting the bill. Glad the matter came to a close with a mutual agreement and not a fight between two good friends.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“Yes, this is quite comfortable I shall sit here.”