In this story, there is a family comprised of a 37-year-old widower named Rick and his 12-year-old daughter, Amy. Rick’s wife and Amy’s mother passed away three years ago. Amy’s aunt, a 29-year-old woman, has maintained a close relationship with Amy despite living far away due to college and work commitments. They regularly communicate, and the aunt often visits Amy, fostering a strong bond between them. Rick has since remarried and has a stepdaughter, Kate, who is 4 years old. Amy seems to get along well with her stepmother and Kate.
The recent conflict arises when the aunt, who now lives closer to Rick and Amy, frequently spends time with Amy, taking her on outings and engaging in various activities together. However, she has been consistently declining requests from Rick and his wife to include Kate in these outings. OP believes that Kate is too young to enjoy the activities they engage in and has expressed her inexperience in babysitting such a young child.
The conflict arises when Rick and his wife ask the aunt to take care of Kate overnight while Amy visits. They need to support Rick’s sister-in-law during a challenging time. The aunt firmly refuses, citing her lack of experience in babysitting young children, leading to tension in the family. Rick accuses her of favoritism and neglecting her role as an aunt to both Amy and Kate and calls OP an A-hole for not helping them out. Now OP wants to know whether she’s an A-hole or not.
1. OP has a niece named Amy who is 12 years old, Amy’s mother passed away 3 years ago and she stays with her dad who got remarried and has a stepdaughter Kate who is 4 years old they both get along fine
2. OP and her sister lost their parents quite a while back, therefore so OP stayed in contact with Amy after her mother passed away. Amy and OP are very close to each other.
3. A year ago OP’s job relocated to a city where Amy and Rick live about an hour away from OP, she often drops by to say hello to Amy and even takes her shopping and they go places once a week. Recently OP has noticed that they ask to take Kate with them. But OP denied it as Kate is too young to connect with them.
4. When OP went to pick up Amy Rick and his wife asked OP if Kate could stay with them as Rick’s SIL was breaking up with her fiance they needed their support, they said that they would pick up both of the kids on Sunday night.
5. OP denied taking Kate along with Amy because she had no experience in babysitting
6. Rick got upset when OP denied taking Kate with Amy
7. OP stood firm on her decision of picking Amy only with her as they planned, they both tried to insist OP to take Kate with them but OP replied whether Amy could come with them or not but she wouldn’t babysit Kate
8. Now OP wants to know whether she’s an A-hole for not helping out Amy’s family
9. Exactly, OP is NTA because she is already offering the best she could. But Kate isn’t her family and she cannot babysit Kate as she doesn’t have any experience in it.
10. This Redditor thinks that they only want a free babysitter
11. This user suggests that Rick can take care of Amy he doesn’t really need to go with his wife
12. Babysitting is not easy if one doesn’t have any experience especially
13. A point well made, what do you guys think?
15. Almost everyone said OP is NTA
16. Yes, if OP had taken Kate along with Amy this would have been a messy choice as Amy and Kate have a massive age gap between them and it could have made it difficult for OP and Amy to bond together
17. Definitely OP saying she doesn’t have any experience in babysitting would have been enough to make them understand that OP cannot deal with this stuff
Let us know what you think about this post in the comment section below and don’t forget to like and share it with your friends and family. Stay tuned with Defused for more content. Thank You!