“First impression is the last impression”. Whether you are going for a job interview, whether you are meeting your loved ones’ parents for the first time, or about to do anything that requires you to deal with a stranger, this statement applies in all such situations. If you are about to make a conversation with someone new, that first impression will totally guide what direction will the interaction move in. Sinetunes the first impression established is so good none one out of all the parties interacting wants the conversation to end. However, if the first impression registered is terrible, the conversation may not even start.
In today’s story that is exactly what happened. Reddit user u/throwaway__467 is a mother who shared that her son was extremely excited to introduce his girlfriend to her and his father. He created a really good image of her in his parents’ minds and they were really excited to meet her. On the day of the meeting, the girlfriend opened the conversation with a joke that was extremely inappropriate and literally killed the mother’s excitement. So much so, that the mother kicked the girlfriend out of the house there and then.
After kicking her out she felt a bit bad so she decided to refer to the infamous subreddit to know “Am I The A$$hole?” to know if she was wrong for kicking his son’s girlfriend out on their first meeting or not.
Scroll down below to read how it all went down.
1. The son finally introduced his girlfriend to his family…way to go, boy.
2. The girl comes to visit the family, things are starting off really well, and then she decides to utter something she thought would be a great conversation starter.
I don’t think a twist in any story has ever surprised me more than this one. I did not see that coming, wow!
3. The mother thought maybe she was being too reserved and that is why she didn’t like the joke…but come on, she could’ve said anything but that while speaking for the first time ever with her potential parents-in-law.
4. The mother gave the whole scenario no further thought and asked her son’s girlfriend to leave the house.
5. OP felt bad after making the girl leave. Confused, she left her fate at the hands of the AITA community members.
This is slightly tricky if you think about it. Like, without giving the story a proper thought and just by reading it, you would definitely declare OP NTA for kicking the girlfriend out because that joke was so inappropriate, You just do not start conversations with your boyfriend’s parents by saying you enjoy riding him. That is something not easy to digest when said to your boyfriend’s mother on your first-ever meeting. But, kicking the girlfriend out right on the spot was not a good thing either. The mother should’ve controlled her nerves and let the conversation move a bit. That decision was too abrupt.
So, personally, I would say both the mother and the girlfriend were wrong, but in their own ways.
Here’s what the AITA members had to say and why:
6. She had all ownership over securing a good impression in the parents’ minds and she did terribly at it.
7. Not even liberal and open-minded people would start a conversation like this with such important people.
8. There is a time and place for everything. This was not the time and definitely not the place for such a joke.
9. She must apologize and the parents should give her another chance.
10. This Redditor said both parties were wrong in their own ways.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“One year ago we wanted to adopt 1 cat. We ended up adopting 3 siblings.”