Should you discourage someone from doing something that you yourself had been doing? Only if you recognize the bad in it, like getting tipsy or smoking one out, then you can tell the other person to refrain from it too. But if you don’t, then please don’t poke into other people’s business.
In today’s story, we have a Reddit user who is a nurse who lives with his fiancee and plans to marry her soon. The nurse has religious parents who don’t like the fact that he and his fiancee have moved in together before getting married and that they should wait till marriage to get together.
One time at a Christmas dinner while everyone from the family is around, OP’s parents bring up this topic again and start sharing how embarrassed they feel that their son is living with a woman he is not married to and that all their other sons didn’t do any of this which makes them proud. Realizing this is making his fiancee super uncomfortable, OP decided to shut his parents up by bringing up the topic of his oldest brother’s premature birth. That one took the parents out unexpectedly as they didn’t know what to say any more about their own wrongdoings.
Scroll down below to read how it all went down.
1. Let’s not judge a book by its cover and read through the details first.
2. OP is a nurse who provides care in low-risk maternity cases.
3. It really is tough to make time for each other when both of you are in the medical profession.
4. Living with a woman without being married to her is not something OP’s religious parents support.
5. For Christmas, everyone is coming over to the parent’s house for a grand meetup. I love one of those.
6. As soon as the dinner began, the parents started taunting OP and his fiancee for not “doing it” the religious way which made OP angry and the fiancee uncomfortable.
7. OP never stays over just because of this reason.
8. OP, at the dinner table, started talking about a premature baby birth that he read about.
9. I think one of OP’s brothers was born prematurely, thanks to some actions done by the parents before they got married.
You were not ready for that one, parents. They did it themselves and they were shaming their own son for doing it as if it is the biggest crime in the world and they had never witnessed anyone do it ever. Wow, this would certainly draw a line. Certainly, a way to teach them how to behave.
Either don’t call it a crime…or shut up.
10. It was the oldest brother. Oh boy, he really is going in.
11. “Play with my fiancee’s feelings and I will play with yours” – that is the strategy OP is going for here.
12. I think it is safe to say OP left his parents short of words.
13. OP got declared an AH for teaching his parents how to behave.
Here’s what the internet had to say:
14. Thanks for the insight, Grandma.
15. OP really did show proper finesse there.
16. A good episode it was.
17. I don’t think a next time would come after what happened at that dinner table.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts and votes in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“I and the Girlfriend came to an agreement on adopting a cat. Somehow ended up with these two. Say hello to Kit and Kat.”