For how long can one be the bigger person?
The whole concept of a person’s saturation point or breaking point is so real and should never be ignored by anyone, even if it is a person who hates someone, just please don’t ignore the fact that they can only hold in so much. It takes time for a person to reach their saturation point because a person is naturally filled with a capacity to bear and quite a lot of patience. So this involves, ignoring one’s rudeness, letting it go for a couple of times, supporting an ideology of “not wanting to make things worse”, and so on. But once that saturation point is reached, all that BS piling up right within you explodes and it explodes everywhere. In the process, you may also hurt the parties unconcerned but it really isn’t your fault, you were forced into this position. Please don’t be rude to people because you may not like the consequences of them doing the same to you.
In today’s Reddit story, we have a matter that was taken straight to the infamous subreddit “Am I The A**Hole?“. In the story OP shares that she has got a super controlling mother-in-law who likes to believe her daughter-in-law’s family just does not exist. Yes, she has formed this expectation from her that she will never go meet her family, not even on holidays.
OP got a lot of support from her husband in terms of trying to balance their time between the two families but this was not liked by the MIL and this made her super angry. One day things got out of hand as for the first time OP’s MIL started insulting her family directly at her face, previously and on multiple occasions, this used to happen behind her back. This is where OP reached her saturation point and went off at her mother-in-law for being rude to her and her family for so long.
You can scroll down to read the story as narrated by OP and develop a hatred for her mother-in-law, just the way I did. Enjoy!
1. A drama oriented around family prioritization…interesting.
2. Oh dear, I do not like such MILs, I am sure no one does.
3. Oh dear, so this family is that kind of horrible. The one that loves to backbite but never has the confidence to say it to the face. Indirect insult!
4. The MIL doesn’t even want to think OP’s own side of the family exists.
5. Who entitled the MIL to have this kind of expectation from OP?
6. Woah, I can bet the MIL’s son won’t be liking those tantrums. He literally got called out for being a good husband and by who? His own mom.
7. Told you, he was never going to take his mom’s side after being roasted by her…that too for doing the right thing.
8. And that’s how it should be.
9. Yes, she is like your daughter, MIL but how does that give you a bigger right on OP than her own freaking parents?
10. I am so not surprised by that reaction.
11. Okay this “plan” might actually clear some tension.
12. Behold, as exactly all of you expected, the MIL had a major problem with the plan as well.
13. OP had finally had enough and asked her husband who is her MIL to decide what they do or where they go.
Okay, I know you guys want to know where the story goes from here but I had to make this interruption just to say not only is this st*pid MIL making OP angry, she is on my nerves too right now. I am so infuriated by this woman. Like, she literally won’t agree to anything. She will only agree to one situation and that is to live in an imaginary world where her DIL’s family does not exist. And that is not possible. How can you expect someone to not visit their family on holidays just because they are now married to your son? It is a marriage, for god’s sake, not handcuffs.
I know the Reddit community is yet to vote and we are yet to reach the conclusion but I am so declaring the MIL a major AH here and OP is totally in the clear. OP is NTA.
You may continue reading now, thanks for going through my rant!
14. MIL began directly insulting OP’s family and OP couldn’t hold it in either so it is safe to say, MIL got told off for being super rude and mean.
15. OP’s husband right at the end blamed her for speaking up and for not being a bigger person. This led OP to take the matter to the members of the AITA community and leave her fate in their hands.
Here’s what the AITA community members had to say and why:
16. The matter directly concerned OP so her getting involved was the only option that made actual sense.
17. Here’s OP’s reasoning for why she got involved. It wasn’t backbiting this time, it was direct insults to her family and she couldn’t just sit there and listen to all that stuff.
18. The MIL started it and OP only responded.
19. I second this.
20. The husband was so wrong with the whole “be the bigger person” thing. That’s not how it works.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section down below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“The age-old cat yoga ball act. The yoga ball is on top of a 7-foot cabinet.”