When you decide to move out of an apartment, you are ending the lease and have decided to go somewhere else or whatever, you are also supposed to return the keys the day you move out. If you do not return the keys and keep them with you, you didn’t move out instead you only walked out.
That is exactly what happened in the story we have got for you guys today. Reddit user u/AITAThrowaway9697 shared that when her roommate, Jane, decided to move out she took the decision to move early, way early before the lease would end. OP was fine with this and in time she found a new roommate. But when Jane left on the day she was supposed to, she also took the keys with her and cut all contact with OP. The new roommate also couldn’t move in until the keys were returned by Jane. When OP finally made contact with Jane, she told OP she would return the keys on the day when the lease would end. The day she came to return the keys, OP asked her to pay the rent due for 10 days as well. Jane refused and argued she had already moved out but OP said she hadn’t returned the keys and the last days of the lease concerned her as much as it concerned OP.
Scroll down below to read the story!
1. Roommates have to pay rent. Let’s see why this argument came into being.
2. OP’s ex-roommate was supposed to move out of the apartment in time for her to renew the lease with a new roommate.
3. OP was chill with Jane (ex-roommate) moving out early as she had found herself a new roommate and also told her she could move in early if she could.
4. On 15th June, Jane moved out however she only took all her stuff and put all the trash outside. OP called her and told her to remove her trash.
5. When Jane moved out, she didn’t return the keys. She took them with her. OP called her multiple times but she didn’t respond.
6. OP wanted to know when will she return the keys because the new roommate was going to move in a few days.
7. The leasing office informed OP if Jane doesn’t return the keys, OP would be responsible for paying for the new ones.
8. The new roommate also told OP she would move in once the keys arrive as there would be no point moving in without them.
9. When OP finally connected with Jane, she said she would return the keys when the lease ends, not before that.
This behavior of Jane is unacceptable. This is no way. She moved out, which means she was supposed to hand over the keys the day she left the apartment. But by saying she will return the keys when the lease ends, does she realize she hasn’t technically moved out? By taking the keys with herself, she walked out of the apartment, she didn’t move out. She may have to pay some extra rent too by doing this.
Let’s see what happens next. Scroll down below to continue reading!
10. When Jane finally came to return the keys, OP confronted her and demanded pending rent from her for 10 days.
11. Jane raised her voice and said she had moved out so she won’t pay any rent.
12. She told OP she could even call the cops on her and simply walked out of the apartment. OP, confused, asked if demanding due rent from Jane was the wrong thing to do or not.
Here’s what the AITA community had to say:
13. She delayed a lot of processes by not returning the keys. She should be held responsible!
14. OP should explore legal options to get the money from Jane.
15. That is at! Take Jane to the small claims court and they will squeeze that rent out of her with ease.
16. Jane didn’t move out, Jane walked out.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
A cute awareness notice.