Your personal life should never get in the way of your professional life.
There is supposed to be a huge line between the two. Let me explain this concept with a very simple example. Suppose you belong to a community that prohibits the use of cigarettes and you yourself have never smoked in your life. Good for you and that life expectancy. But that does not mean that you will also reject a job offer of a $120,000 salary per year at a smoking company. You would be an idiot for doing so. See, that explains the difference very well. Not wanting to do something or wanting to do something is your personal choice. Maybe you want to change your lifestyle by switching to a keto diet, a vegan diet, or a non-vegan diet. But you are not supposed to let that choice meddle with your professional career. In the professional world, you are going to meet people who wouldn’t really care for what sort of food you eat, they just want their service and if you are the provider you shouldn’t create a fuss about not serving those who don’t respect your personal life choices. That is a failed career.
In today’s story Reddit user u/-SilverMoonSoul-, who is the owner of a restaurant, shares how their head chef decided to turn vegan which was a respected choice. But he then also proceeded to refuse to work with any sort of meats or create any meat dishes. It was a meat restaurant so protein was going to be in majority of the items. The owner demanded him to make meat dishes and in response the head chef decided to quit, only to call back the very next day requesting to be rehired, like a baby. So much so that he blamed his tantrums on his “mental health issues” in order to get the job back .
Scroll down below to read what happened!
1. The decision of the head chef who turned vegan was very much respected but he for some reason refused to work with the restaurant anymore because their specialty was meat.
Even though they never gave him any meat food to eat after he had turned vegan. They would buy vegan food for him to eat while at work.
2. The head chef slowly started refusing to do anything related to meat and that was a problem. He wouldn’t even create menus that involved meat items.
3. Stop serving meat? Mate, you are the head chef, not the owner.
4. I believe the head chef has gone completely mental. Is he sure he is only on vegan items?
5. He was told to go sleep before he makes an irrational decision. He didn’t listen. Now he has to suffer.
6. Not even the mental health card worked.
7. OP’s close ones suggested he rehire the head chef if he really had mental health issues.
Honestly, I don’t know what OP’s friends and family are on. They cannot declare OP the AH if the head chef turned out to be mentally ill because he had already given the chef a lot of shots. To the point, OP even asked the head chef to stop before he makes a stupid decision about quitting and suggested he take some proper sleep and come back the next day. If you are not ready to listen to your boss who is actually trying to help you, you then are a lost cause. OP was NTA.
Here are some of the comments on the story:
8. Head chef just wasn’t in the mood for anything but vegan food.
9. Exactly, OP gave the chef way too many chances.
10. Rehiring the head chef may not be in the best interest of the business and other workers.
11. This person raised a solid point. Shouldn’t they be getting treatment instead of cooking at OP’s restaurant?
12. OP was being too kind with the whole situation.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section down below.
Stay tuned for more.