In this post, a 43-year-old woman (OP) and her 47-year-old husband have been married for four years, blending their families with children from previous marriages. They live with OP’s 18-year-old stepdaughter, O, who’s a college student. O brings her friends over frequently as she commutes from home to save on expensive on-campus housing.
OP, who has OCD and a busy work schedule, decided to hire a housekeeper to maintain the house once a week, given her cleanliness standards. The problem arises when O’s friends visit and disregard house rules, leaving a messy, expensive-to-clean home. A conflict arises when OP requests O to pay for the cleaning costs. O denies responsibility, causing tension as OP threatens to revoke coverage for O’s phone bill, reflecting a disagreement about financial accountability amidst the messy living situation.
So keep on scrolling down below to read the whole story narrated by OP and make sure to read it till the end. Otherwise, you won’t be able to identify if OP is an A-hole in this story or not.
1. OP and her husband have been married for 4 years now and they both have children from previous marriages
2. O lives with OP and her husband full time at first they had a bit rocky relationship but as time passed they managed to push through it, OP told her that she’s not her mom but if there’s anything she needs to talk about she can.
3. O is trying to make friends at college recently, but the problem is that she keeps bringing her friends to hangout but they always make a mess according to OP
4. OP has OCD and O often picks up after herself but OP just hired a housekeeper to clean the house once a week as she has been more busy and working overtime often
5. O brought her friends over this time and the house was cleaned but they decided not to take their shoes off leaving the footmarks all over the house they made pizza from scratch so there were food crumbs
6. OP requested the amount she paid for the cleaning service from O and she was confused that she had to pay OP made her understand that her friend ruined the house that was cleaned, the husband wanted all of it to let go but OP didn’t
7. Now OP wants to know whether she’s an A-hole for forcing her stepdaughter to pay her back
8. Here’s a edit OP provided to viewers to clear the confusion
9. Now she’s never gonna come towards OP and talk about things, OP should have let it go.
10. OP’s OCD is not her stepdaughter’s problem that’s for sure
11. Exactly, some footprints and crumbs are so easy to clean but OP wanted to break her relationship with her stepdaughter I guess.
12. Exactly, things can be cleaned or mended but relationships can’t.
13. Really footprints and crumbs and the house is ruined? They can easily be fixed. YTA.
14. She needs to go after some mental health support otherwise, things like this in the future can be really bad for OP and her relationships with others
16. I was expecting the same from the title but it was just footprints and crumbs
17. This is about crumbs and it’s a petty thing to make such a big deal out of it, it could have been cleaned but OP decided to make a scene out of it.
18. Users thought that maybe her stepdaughter had thrown a party like Project X or something but it was just crumbs and footprints
Let us know what you think about this post in the comment section below. As from the user’s response, we know who’s the A-hole here and she needs to do something about it. Because strained relationships can’t be fixed but things can be. Don’t forget to like and share it with your friends and family. Stay tuned with Defused for more content. Thank You!