In this story, a mother-in-law (MIL) unexpectedly gifted her daughter-in-law a coffee machine, which she initially planned to be a $50 gift. However, the coffee machine she found cost $80, and she asked the daughter-in-law to contribute the extra $30. The daughter-in-law questioned the reasoning behind this, suggesting that if the MIL had a budget in mind, she could have chosen a different gift within that budget. This led to a disagreement about principles and whether the daughter-in-law should pay the extra amount. The husband became attached to the coffee machine and desired to keep it, urging his wife to pay the $30. The conflict has left the daughter-in-law contemplating whether she should give her MIL the $30 or stand her ground in what she sees as an unreasonable demand.
OP was having a hard time seeing how she was wrong and that’s the reason she posted this story in the famous Reddit Community AITA to see if she’s wrong or not. Keep on scrolling down below to read the whole story narrated by OP and make sure to read it till the end.
1. OP’s mother-in-law bought her a coffee machine even though OP had one, before she was leaving she said OP needed to pay her $30 and when she asked why she said she planned on putting $50 in the gift but the cheapest one was $80 and that’s why she needs to pay her $30.
2. OP got confused due to this and she thought she should have bought something that was actually $50
3. Mother-in-law said she didn’t care about paying more if it made her happy to which OP replied then why would you ask me to pay $30 extra she replied it’s just a matter of principle and if she has manner she would pay
4. She later texted OP’s husband that she was waiting for $30 and she would take back the coffee machine if she didn’t pay her, OP told her husband that she could take it back because she ain’t gonna give her $30
5. OP’s husband is not okay with this and that’s because he’s attached to the coffee machine, OP told her husband if he wanted to keep the machine then he should give his mom the money she wants
6. OP’s husband said that it was selfish of her to not pay the extra $30 for the coffee machine that her mom got for him
7. Now OP is asking to clue her in regarding how she’s wrong and should she give his mom $30 and be done with it
8. Nobody is used to paying for the gift, a gift is a gift.
9. In fact, the husband is acting like a child. What do you guys think?
10. This user said OP is NTA moreover, he asked OP if she was sure that her husband didn’t ask her mother to buy that coffee machine.
12. Literally no one said OP is an A-hole and now we know why
13. Gifts don’t come with strings attached
14. Exactly, who in this world brings you a gift and charges you for it?
15. It could work, what do you think?
16. That’s exactly my question
17. Most of the users were confused about who asks for money to pay for a gift
18. Exactly, that coffee machine was never for OP it was for the husband I assume.
Let us know your thoughts about this post in the comment section below and don’t forget to like and share it with your friends and family. Stay tuned with Defused for more content. Thank You!