When you are new in an organization, you have to be very patient and understand everything very carefully. It can take time but trust the process. You have to understand the people you are going to work with, how they like being approached, how they hate being approached, what will you do that will bother them and the sort of things that you engage in that will attract them towards you. Once you have mastered the organizational culture, you are set for the highest level of growth in no time.
However, one worker who had just joined a company didn’t wait and did her homework like this. Reddit user u/DueEstablishment8602 shared how inspired she felt by a colleague named Thea at the workplace who would work both efficiently and effectively. OP wanted to work on projects including her so she could learn to be as good as her but found it hard to cope up with the strict deadlines and the tough quality standards. This resulted in OP working very slowly according to Thea’s standard she would always pick OP out for this and tell her to do better.
OP though wanted to get involved even more so she kept approaching Thea to involve her in more projects and tasks that she has at hand. At this point, Thea started to feel uncomfortable and snapped at OP. OP decided to report Thea to HR for this and it backfired.
Scroll down below to read how it all went down.
1. Let’s find out.
2. Nice to see OP commending Thea for being good…usually colleagues get jealous.
3. OP wanted to learn from Thea but working under her let her know she is very strict when it comes to deadlines and squeezes effort out of everyone to get the job done.
4. OP wanted to get more involved in the tasks Thea had but her involvement began to annoy Thea.
5. Since the day she snapped at OP, Thea started avoiding OP as much as she could.
6. OP decided to report Thea to HR for this. It backfired as the boss pulled her out of all the projects that involved Thea and also told her to stay out of her way.
7. OP rested her case with the AITA community members.
Here’s what the AITA community members had to say and why:
8. Don’t poke too much too early.
9. OP was the one creating a hostile environment by triggering Thea.
10. I know right, OP seems like “Ms. Everyone’s business is mine”.
11. You cannot expect her to take you on projects when she herself cannot work on her full potential because of your clinginess.
12. What OP did was extremely unprofessional…both constantly hounding her and filing the report to HR.
I would also declare OP an AH. People have their own way of working and you have to respect it. Thea’s way of doing things is strict and it works for her. She always meets deadlines and completes all work as assigned without compromising on any quality. If she doesn’t prefer flexibility, it is her choice. She is comfortable with that. What she wasn’t comfortable with was OP constantly poking her nose in. What OP should’ve done was wait, patiently observed everything and slowly she would’ve automatically been involved by Thea, I am willing to bet on that.
After realizing she had been obliterated by the AITA communities mutual vote of YTA, OP shared some updates to justify why she is NTA in this story:
13. OP cleared the ra*ism issue.
14. Well then you shouldn’t have interrupted her good management then.
15. OP and Thea are colleagues.
16. Clearly you were slow and hence the strictness on the deadlines.
17. And then witnessed that HR and the boss didn’t find any issue with Thea’s methods either.
18. There is always a time for everything…maybe that wasn’t the time to approach her.
But the explanations didn’t work at all. The vote did not change.
19. Thea’s behavior was not hostile…this means the complaint to HR had a false allegation.
20. OP is going to have a tough time in the corporate world.
21. Honestly why didn’t she think about the fact that maybe she is making Thea feel uncomfortable and that is why she is reacting this way?
22. Just keep your nose out.
23. OP jumped the gun and faced the consequences.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
The husband interrupted their happy moment and this is their reaction to it.