In this story, a 17-year-old boy’s parents have decided to get divorced, and he responds to the news with a relatively nonchalant attitude. He rationalizes their decision, believing that if his parents no longer love each other and have chosen to separate amicably, it might be for the best as they can find happiness with other people. His primary concern is the potential impact of the divorce on his college tuition, but his parents reassure him that they will still split the costs as agreed. He struggles to understand why his older sister, who no longer lives at home, is taking the divorce so hard and sees little reason to be deeply upset about the situation.
His sister, however, has a much more emotional reaction to the divorce and is upset with her brother for not sharing in her distress. She perceives his lack of emotional reaction as “heartless” and believes that he should be more empathetic and concerned about the family breaking apart. Despite her living away from home, she still feels a strong emotional connection to her parents and is deeply affected by their decision to divorce.
Keep on scrolling down below to read the whole story narrated by OP below and make sure to read it till the end. Otherwise, you won’t be able to know who’s the A-hole here.
1. OP’s parents recently decided to get divorced and the reason that caused it was they realized they were no longer right for each other
2. OP said that there’s nothing to be upset about and if they don’t love each other anymore, getting a divorce is probably good for them according to OP.
3. The only concern that OP had was how this divorce would impact his college tuition but his parents him that they would pay for his college on smaller incomes
4. But on the other hand OP’s sister said to OP that he’s heartless for not worrying about how it will impact their family as it is breaking apart
5. Now OP wants to know whether he’s an A-hole for not worrying too much about their parents’ divorce
6. This user made a point, different people process things differently and it is not necessary that they feel the same
7. This user said OP is NTA and told him that his reaction kind of adheres to the philosophy of the Stoics
8. This user suggested OP be prepared for them to not help with the college especially when one or both of them get remarried
9. Everyone processes big change differently
10. People are different and their feelings ought to be different and the way they react to things is also different
11. Maybe the sister hasn’t seen what’s been happening and OP may have seen it coming for a while
12. What do you think people? Is OP a little bit of both?
13. A point well made by this user!
14. From the user response above all OP is NTA
15. People are different and the feelings they have are different it’s no shame to have different feelings
16. We hope the same happens for OP too
Let us know what you think about this post in the comment section below and don’t forget to like and share it with your friends and family. Stay tuned with Defused for more content. Thank You!