In this story, OP’s father, who has been married multiple times, invites them to meet his new fiancée. The father has already introduced OP’s siblings to the fiancée, allowing them to bring their partners to the wedding. When OP brings her long-term transgender boyfriend to the meeting, the father, after initially suggesting they bring their “partner,” later insists that the wedding is “family only” when asked about attending.
OP stands up for her boyfriend, suspecting that the exclusion was based on their boyfriend being transgender. This leads to a tense exchange between the individual and their father, where they decline the invitation. The father’s fiancée becomes visibly upset, and they leave. Later, the father texts OP offering to let them attend the wedding alone if they can be civil.
After discussing the situation with her siblings, OP receives mixed responses, with some supporting their stance on inclusivity and others feeling that it might not have been the best issue to address, as it upset the fiancée and their father.
So keep scrolling down below to read the whole story narrated by OP and make sure to read it till the end, so you can know who’s the A-hole here.
1. OP’s father has been married 4 times and he’s going to marry for the 5th time in 30 years, OP’s father invited her for coffee and to introduce her to his new fiance.
2. OP’s siblings told her that they had just gotten coffee with Dad and met the fiance
3. OP’s dad told her to bring her partner for coffee, and OP finally met his dad’s fiance who seemed nice according to OP. During the conversation, Dad asked OP if she and only she would attend the wedding.
4. OP noticed that her dad was talking to her only not her boyfriend and when OP replied “We will check if we are free” OP’s dad instantly replied this is family only.
5. And when OP said she assumed that couples were invited along with their siblings her dad replied that’s different and asked again are you coming to the wedding OP replied “We’ll catch the next one” This made the fiance upset and he left
6. Now OP wants to know whether she’s an A-hole or not, let’s keep scrolling and find out.
7. OP provided some information about her and her boyfriend who is transgender
8. OP told the users that his dad’s fiance knows she’s number five and always gives the same story about how he was tricked into marrying golddiggers
9. NTA, what OP did was stand up for her boyfriend which was totally reasonable of her to do.
10. Was it the best thing to be done in that situation? What do you think?
11. Piece of advice for OP
13. This user made a solid point, that was just a stupid move.
14. Actually it was he who wasn’t civil
15. Standing up for her boyfriend was the best OP could have done and that’s what she did
16. Almost everyone said OP is NTA and it is actually true she isn’t the A-hole we are looking for
17. And if OP thinks she might have hurt the fiance she could reach her and make her understand it wasn’t about her
Let us know what you think about this post in the comment section below and don’t forget to like and share it with your friends and family. Stay tuned with Defsued for more content. Thank You!