After maintaining a very good relationship with her roommate, Reddit user u/LiterallyJustAnEel shared things got troublesome when her roommate shared the desire to move in with her boyfriend to their shared apartment.
OP didn’t really have a problem with the boyfriend moving in, the issue was that he was not going to pay any rent, it was going to be a freebie for 6 months till their tenancy expired. OP talked with her roommate and told her she would only allow her boyfriend to move into their apartment if he agreed to pay 1/3rd of the rent. It is only fair if they all pay equally to live in that building.
OP’s roommate and her boyfriend did not like this and they started sending horrible messages to OP that made her confident self approach the subreddit “Am I The A$$hole?” to know if her decision was right or wrong.
Scroll down below to read the story!
1. Just by reading that extensive title, I have the urge to say NTA but let’s not jump the gun, let’s be Sherlock.
2. Something happened that caused the relationship between these two roommates to weaken.
3. OP’s roommate and her boyfriend were, at one point, going to move in together but that didn’t happen.
4. But now the roommate wants her boyfriend to move in with her in the apartment she shared with OP and she also doesn’t want him to pay the rent.
5. The roommate said all the boyfriend will put the share in is the utility bills and the council tax.
6. So he will only pay 7.7% of the total rent and will live there…that is almost free.
7. Instead of staying in the spare room, the boyfriend shares his girlfriend’s room and his mode of work also annoys OP and makes it tough for her to work.
8. OP shared with her roommate that if her boyfriend wants to move in, he happily can if he pays 1/3rd of the total rent. This was not liked by the couple.
I think OP is being extremely fair here. Why bring a third person in and allow them to live freely in a space that you are paying to use? He is not entitled to that. If the roommate doesn’t want him to pay, then she should pay 2/3rd rent out of her own pocket. If the roommate’s boyfriend starts living in their shared apartment, surely he will utilize and use the resources installed in that apartment too. So, he is bound to pay 1/3rd rent. I see nothing wrong with OP’s demand.
Let’s see what happens next. Scroll down below to continue reading!
9. They called OP a hypocrite by reminding her she used to live with her aunt, once, for free.
10. They also taunted her about spending most of her time at her boyfriend’s house.
11. They also mentioned they felt offended that OP demanded rent from her roommate’s boyfriend.
12. They also didn’t hesitate to call OP greedy for money.
13. And to end it, they called OP mentally unstable.
14. OP offered to leave the apartment so the couple could live happily together but they didn’t want that happen either.
Of course, the roommate and her boyfriend would then have to pay the entire rent.
15. Financial strength is a powerful tool. The boyfriend may use it against OP if the three start living together.
16. OP says he would actually get a good deal if he moved in and paid 1/3rd of the total rent.
Here’s what the AITA community had to say about this:
17. F*ck this couple. Move in with your boyfriend.
18. Allow him to move in only if he pays 1/3rd of the rent…or else move out of that apartment.
19. OP should take a screenshot of this comment, get it framed, and put it in the living room.
20. Find a way and the day you do, leave!
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“My boy always tries to jump in the fridge when I open it. This is the first time he made it in.”