I think we are all aware of the taboo associated with step relations that they rarely work. I don’t know why this is the case but the preference towards your biological relations is basically what has been identified as the main reason for the disruption caused in step relations. However, I am a strong believer in the fact that nothing is impossible. And building a positive relationship with your non-biological relative and maintaining is something that can be done with the right strategies, unlimited love, and a lot of patience.
In today’s story Reddit user u/nolongeradoormat shares how his stepdaughter, Ana, does not like him at all. Even though her biological father tries to avoid her every time and does not support her in any way, she still loves him and shows complete dislike towards OP. However, she is still financially dependent on OP so whenever she needs something she always goes back to OP even if she had just called him an a**hole 30 minutes ago. One morning Ana approached OP to buy her plane tickets so she could go meet her boyfriend and this happened just a few days after she went off on him and cursed him. So OP snapped and told her to go ask her real father to get her the tickets.
However, OP was quick to realize his mistake and went on to apologize to Ana. From there on, a precedent was set that step relations can too work out. Scroll down below to read how it all happened.
1. A step-family drama…that is what I like calling these ones.
2. This family is a mix of step and biological relationships.
3. I don’t know why this disruption exists in step relations but it is a reality. It happens.
4. OP tries to do everything he can to develop and maintain a good relationship with Ana.
5. But Ana makes it really hard for OP to maintain the relationship between them.
6. Ana absolutely loves her biological father but according to OP, he performs no duties of a father.
7. Don’t you think such a punishment may make things worse, OP?
8. Ana went off at her father for checking her phone. That one must’ve hurt OP…but constantly checking her phone? I am not sure about that one either.
9. Such behavior will make OP reach his saturation point one day…and Ana won’t like it when it happens.
10. Well, can you tell your stepdad to go f*ck off and then later ask him to buy you plane tickets to go see your boyfriend? Be honest.
I don’t think so.
11. I told you she wouldn’t like the day OP snaps. It was inevitable.
12. OP’s wife didn’t like what he said to Ana. Uncertainty made him present his case before the AITA community members.
Here’s what the internet had to say about this:
13. That is good advice.
14. Redditors said the punishment set by OP wasn’t right.
15. I swear, this family needs to sort its stuff out on an urgent basis. No one is acting right or responsibly.
16. Everyone was an AH for their own reason.
17. Things need to get better between OP and Ana and he is the one who will have to make the right efforts.
I hope things get better between OP and Ana. You see, step relationships are traditionally credited as relationships that will either struggle or not work at all. We all are aware of this phenomenon so there was someone out there who created it. However, this makes no sense. Unless your stepfather abuses you, you can still make a case against him but when he is doing everything in his power to make things right, then it is unfair to not put in the effort from your side to make things progress towards betterment.
Ana has been wrong in this story all along but OP also didn’t do the right thing by setting that punishment and stooping down to her level when he refused to buy her plane tickets and taunted her at the same time.
The good thing is, that was not the end of it and we have more to know. So let’s see what happens next. Scroll down below to continue reading.
Two weeks later OP shared an update on the matter. Here it is:
18. I am so happy OP showed heart and apologized to Ana for his misconduct.
19. Aww, OP you are winning hearts right now.
20. OP also realized that checking Ana’s phone wasn’t the right thing to do.
21. OP suggested Ana goes through therapy to feel confident and let everything out once and for all.
22. Ana agreed to the therapy sessions and has already begun attending them.
23. And the sessions are working.
24. When your sibling notices a change in you that means the change is real.
25. My heart…
26. You deserve it, OP. Your efforts finally paid off.
27. It is good to know that OP is enjoying the positive change but is also being very realistic about things moving forward.
Here are the views of the Redditors after reading the update:
28. We all cried, let’s be real.
29. The change of strategy by OP was really appreciated.
30. If all he did was make you and didn’t fulfill any responsibilities that a father is supposed to fulfill, you must not classify that person as your father.
31. Good luck to OP and Ana…and I hope Elise starts getting more involved as well.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below. Who was right and who was wrong?
Stay tuned for more stories!
“Boyfriend’s parents just adopted these three kittens, they were told they were 2 girls and 1 boy but turns out they’re all brothers!”