We love a nice family drama over dogs.
Humans and dogs are very similar in terms of a lot of things. They get happy when you give them love, they get sad when they see something emotional, and they also get a bad stomach when they eat something wrong. Now, the difference here is that humans have an understanding of what is right and what is wrong for them to eat. This means they know what sort of food will upset their stomach. Dogs, on the other side, don’t understand this as their owners are responsible for what they eat. The dog’s duty is only to munch on whatever it is given to eat. Yes, dogs are extremely adorable and they use that cute face quite often to bribe their owners to get something. But as a responsible owner, one must understand the consequences of feeding their dog the wrong food. So, it is important to make some sacrifices for a better, healthy life.
Today’s story showers light on the grievousness of this matter. Reddit user haleymillermccain shared how they had to leave home for a longer-than-usual period of time and their mother was taking care of her mix-breed dog named Odie. When OP returned home, she noticed how weird Odie’s stomach was looking so she instantly called her mother to ask what had she fed him. The mother responded with devastating news. She had fed Odie leftover food. Odie has a very sensitive stomach so she postpones all tasks and spends the whole nice awake with her dog but things start getting worse as he starts showing more and more symptoms of stomach infection.
OP takes Odie to the vet who then gets a full treatment. Once the dog starts showing signs of recovery and manages to start walking again, OP confronts her mother for being so irresponsible. She further demands that her mother pays the veterinary bills for Odie’s treatments. OP takes the matter to the community of AITA and asks them if she was wrong for asking her mother to pay the dog’s vet bills.
Scroll down below to read the story!
1. Odie and OP have been deeply in love for two years now and her responsible self has made sure he never got sick once, since adoption.
2. One day OP left Odie’s responsibility with her mother and he got sick because she fed him leftovers.
3. The mother fed Odie a diet high in onions which can be very toxic to dogs. On top of that, Odie had a very sensitive stomach.
4. With time, things started getting worse for Odie.
5. Odie started looking lifeless and that’s when she rushed him to emergency but they refused to treat him because his condition wasn’t life-threatening and recommended she take Odie to a primary vet.
In other words, you have to spend a look of money to get your dog treated. Society is cruel. It’s not like the emergency doctors didn’t have the instruments, tools, and medicines to treat Odie. Treating only the animals who are about to die doesn’t make sense to me. Because to OP, Odie was dying. I was already so angry with OP’s mother and now these emergency people have made me even angrier. Some brought in their sick dog, you are its doctors, treat the darn animal and send it back home. No, ma’am. You must take this creature to a primary vet who will take his time to treat it and will charge you loads.
Sorry for the rant. I could be entirely wrong with this one but I just imagined myself in the place of OP. I would need my dog’s treatment to begin as soon as possible. Let’s continue with the story.
6. OP got in touch with a primary vet and the treatment began on Thursday.
7. The doctors put OD on fluids which helped a lot in terms of improvement.
8. I am so glad he can walk now. The concerns are off OP’s shoulders and now she can turn her attention toward confronting her mother.
9. OP’s mother said it’s not her fault the dog got sick after she got asked to pay Odie’s vet bills.
Let’s suppose the onions didn’t do this to Odie. The mother still fed him the exact stuff he is not supposed to eat. Chicken and rice soup. OP made it very clear in the story that the dog had a sensitive stomach in general and I am sure if she made this clear to us, she must’ve made this clear to her mother as well. OP was right for demanding the bills and the mother, rightfully, should pay them. OP was NTA in this story.
The votes came in and here’s what everyone had to say:
10. As simple as that.
11. Feeding Odie human food was the mother’s choice so this is all on her.
12. I am glad Odie recovered.
13. Either way, OP was always in the clear.
14. The mum was careless.
15. OP’s mom took responsibility and then did something very irresponsible.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section down below. Was OP the AH?
Stay tuned for more stories.