Caring people! There are not many of them out there in today’s society. Everyone tends to prioritize their own interest first. And I don’t fully blame them for it, the world is in a rough state and we have to think about our survival. But it shouldn’t be all about you, you have to think about others. That is how an ideal social order works. Help others and get help!
Speaking of caring people, in today’s story we have Reddit user u/SeaSeana who along with her husband would always look after her cousin’s dog in the summers while she would go away. They had been doing it for 6 years. But after they took in her father and his new wife’s kids to take care of them, it became difficult to look after the dog and the little ones at the same time, for OP. But they still remained committed. Until they got the news of her father having a new baby who was born prematurely and required immense care and looking after. After also taking that baby in, they got fully invested in looking after the kids and this made OP forget about the dog-sitting promise. The cousin called her around the dates they were supposed to come but OP told her she would not be coming for this summer because of the situation at hand.
This upset the cousin as she blamed OP for not caring about her dog anymore while OP said she was too occupied by the kids to think about anything else. Scroll down below to read the story!
1. OP put forward the following question.
2. Once a week every year OP and her husband stay at her cousin’s house to look after her dog while she is away. They love doing it.
3. After OP and her husband kind of adopted her half-sister, for the next summer she told her cousin she would have to bring the dog to her house for them to look after it as traveling to her place with little kids was not going to be easy.
4. The cousin said it would be more difficult to move Monty (the dog) there with his stuff than to bring the kids to her place. OP’s husband liked the idea of bringing the kids along so they decided they would go to the cousin’s place.
5. The ease of taking care of the dog, though, had lowered with little kids in the equation now. OP had to do more work, and take more care.
6. In May, the cousin told OP the dates she would need them to come over for dog sitting. OP consulted with her husband.
7. But before OP could speak to her husband about it, they got the news of OP’s father’s wife having a new baby.
8. The new baby was born prematurely and was addicted to opioids. After a lot of consideration, OP and her husband took the baby in and since then their life has been completely occupied. So much so that they completely forgot about dog-sitting the cousins’s dog.
I personally think OP and her husband should skip the visit to their cousin’s house to look after her dog for the current summer. They have a huge task at hand. The newborn is not healthy and they have to do a lot and stay constantly proactive to make sure the baby remains healthy and is alright.
No one was expecting the baby so it is not like they could’ve given the cousin an advanced disclaimer. Everyone was shocked. I hope the cousin will understand. Let’s see what happens next. Scroll down below to continue reading!
9. The cousin called. She asked OP if they were excited to come to which OP said they would not be coming this year.
10. There is no way they could travel with a baby who starts screaming as soon as you put her down.
11. The cousin suggested she could bring Monty to OP’s house but she refused to add more to her huge list of responsibilities for the time being.
12. This upset the cousin as she said OP has stopped caring about Monty ever since she got the kids.
13. She said she won’t babysit her kids when OP calls upon her.
14. She said they could have told her they weren’t going to do it as soon as they got the news about the baby.
15. But OP was too occupied with the kids to think about anything at all.
Here are some of the comments shared on the story by the AITA community members:
16. That 8-week-old baby was in no position to travel.
17. What OP and her husband are doing deserves applause.
18. OP looking after that infant was much more important than looking after her cousin’s dog.
19. I know OP will continue to take in more babies if they keep coming but her father and his new wife need to be more logical about this. It will not be okay for them to keep pumping out babies and throwing them at their daughter to have them taken care of.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
There is more to this picture than what meets the eye.