Friends can never be enforced on a person. You have to make them on your own no matter how long it takes because when you go through that process yourself, you find out there are all sorts of people living on this planet and that allows you to figure out whose personality is the most compatible with you. Friendship done this way is the one that lasts forever.
In today’s story, however, a friend was being enforced on a kid and it didn’t work out at all. Reddit user u/Normal-Plastic-7514 shared a new mother when became part of the neighborhood, everyone noticed that one of her two sons was a special needs kid, Aiden. OP informed the new neighbor of a ritual that they had where the neighbors would gather at a park every Saturday morning to catch up on things while their children would play. Aidens had an exciting personality that was not liked by OP’s son, Sam.
This resulted in OP retreating from Aiden every time they would play. The parents tried sorting things out but Sam was just not happy with this forced friendship and OP eventually understood. After Aiden ended up breaking Sam’s favorite toy one day, OP took his son home and changed the time of the day they would go to the park to avoid Aiden. The other neighbors followed which showed none of the children were happy with AIden.
Scroll down below to read the story and decided if what OP did was the right thing to do or not.
1. Let’s find out why.
2. A happy family of four.
3. This is actually a very good idea. Keeps the community updated and together.
4. OP shared that a new family moved in and OP informed the mother about the Saturday ritual in case she wanted to meet the other neighbors and become a part of the bigger community.
5. When the mother attended her first Saturday meet-up, everyone noticed her son Aiden had special needs. The kid was excited but not aggressive so OP was cool about it. The mother was also observed correcting her son every time he would do something wrong.
6.. On one Saturday Aiden having a tough day resulted in OP’s son requesting that he go home so OP took him. The next day, Aiden’s mother showed up at OP’s house.
7. She argued same shouldn’t have left Aiden alone there. OP decided to talk to him.
8. Next Saturday, Sam approached Aiden to play, and the two did but only for a while until Aiden got loud again and Sam began retreating. Sam showed hesitance.
9. Neither Sam liked Aiden nor was James interested in Kyle.
10. The coming week Auden ended up destroying Sam’s favorite toy which made him yell at the disabled kid. OP thought there is no need for Sam to apologize and they left.
I don’t see OP at fault here or Sam. You cannot force your child to interact with someone else because that “someone else” has special needs. If Aiden is making the environment uncomfortable for Sam, for sure he is going to retreat. And it is nice of OP that he understands what is going on. Sam can choose not to interact with Aiden ever again and his decision should be respected by everyone.
Let’s see what happens next. Scroll down below to continue reading!
11. OP decided they would go to the park on Saturday afternoons instead of mornings after Aiden had left. Soon the other neighbors followed the same pattern and OP knew exactly why.
12. Aiden’s mother got a hint of what was happening and wrote a letter to OP sharing her feelings about how he was making everyone in the community ignore her special-needs son.
13. OP feels as long as his kids remain within the barrier of respect, he is fine with their decision to stay away from Aiden and Kyle.
14. OP turned to the AITA community to ask if the decision to allow his patterns to keep their distance from the new special needs child in the neighborhood was the right thing to do or not.
Here’s what the internet had to say about this:
15. Sam took the first step many times so I think there is nothing wrong that happened from OP’s side.
16. Your own child will always be your first priority. Aiden’s needs are his mother’s priority.
17. She requires a lecture on it…on an urgent basis.
18. Aiden was sort of enforced on Sam, at least that is what I made out of this. And no, that was not okay.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
He found a really comfy pillow I suppose.