There are people out there making millions every month who are not satisfied with their lives. Contrarily, there also exist people who are barely making ends meet but they are satisfied with their lives, they are happy How is that possible? Earnings are everything, right? No, they are not. Your satisfaction with your own life is everything. Unfortunately, Reddit user u/Patient-Fly-9906 says his parents don’t understand this.
OP shared he is working a job that isn’t high paying the way we expect jobs to pay but he has zero debt, he has his own house, and his salary covers all his expenses. He is really happy with the position he is in but his parents are not. His parents want him to look for jobs that pay higher than what he is making.
One time at his parents’ 20th wedding anniversary celebration, a cousin of OP’s came who was working a similar job but was making much more compared to him. OP’s parents decided to bring this topic up there. Because his parents had said this to him many times, on that day he reached his saturation point and brought up a terrible reality that his stepfather had once been involved in. The confrontation shocked everyone as OP’s parents got angry but felt really embarrassed at the same time too.
Scroll down below to read and find out what the confronting factor was and whether it makes OP an AH or not.
1. Let’s find out!
2. OP is financially stable and doesn’t feel the need to find a job that pays a higher salary. He is happy with where he is.
3. This guy is living a top-tier life.
4. OP’s parents, however, believe their son is wasting his time on the current job that he is doing and should look for higher paying jobs.
OP can find higher-paying jobs and I am sure he will get hired too but he doesn’t feel the need so why should he get into something that would cause stress?
5. OP has tried his best to explain to his parents his side of the story but they never understand.
6. OP shared important information about his stepfather’s terrible gambling habits that resulted in his parents incurring a lot of debt that the couple still hasn’t been able to pay off even though they postponed their retirements just for this.
7. One time, there was a family get-together to celebrate OP’s parents’ 20th anniversary.
8. His cousin was there as well who worked a similar job compared to OP but was making much more money comparatively. OP’s parents picked this point up and kept telling OP to get to his senses.
I am sorry but this is so bad. Their son is doing great. I mean what is the need to make more money? He has his own house, he is not in any sort of debt, he is making enough to cover all his finances, and is doing a job that does not cause him any stress. And the most important part is that OP is happy with the position he is in. What else do his parents want? As a parent, you want your child to live a life he/she is satisfied with. But in OP’s case, for some reason, they want him to do more.
Do they know that if he does find a higher-paying job, the task at hand that would come with it would also get tough resulting in the introduction of stress in OP’s life…something that he has been successfully avoiding so far.
Let’s see how this unfolds further. Scroll down below to continue reading!
9. OP finally reached his saturation point and brought up the topic of his stepdad’s gambling which resulted in them being so indebted. He said they wanted him to make more money so they could pay off their debts.
10. This made the parents really angry and embarrassed at the same time.
11. OP had to leave the scene because the tension was getting too high there.
12. OP’s brother told him that he went a bit too far. AITA community’s decision-makers were called upon.
OP is NTA! Again, I would say the same thing. This is not something his parents get to decide. Their blender is not something OP has to cover. If he does so, it is his choice but there are no conditions bounding him. If he is happy with what he is doing and what he is making, then go ahead sir. Satisfaction with life is something not the best in the world have managed to achieve.
Here are some of the comments shared on the story:
13. They started it and OP finished it. I see nothing wrong.
14. Yeah the relatives were chatting sh*t, their opinion must not be considered.
15. That is exactly what it sounds like.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“I didn’t get the job I wanted so my dog ate my rejection letter.”