In this scenario, OP is a graduate (24F) who organized a celebration for her master’s degree graduation, inviting her parents, stepmom, and relatives from her mom’s side of the family. The stepmom has a history of making hurtful comparisons between the graduate and her cousins, often belittling her. As graduation weekend approached, the stepmom planned a fancy dinner for the graduate, her dad, and herself, but the graduate declined due to prior commitments, including work and her own celebration party. This upset the stepmom, who felt it was unfair given their long journey to attend the graduation.
Upon their arrival in town, OP visited her parents’ hotel room to say hello. Her dad expressed pride and support for her achievements, but the stepmom continued to highlight the accomplishments of the cousins, emphasizing their intelligence, accomplishments, and success in various areas. The graduate, frustrated by the ongoing comparisons, asserted her right to celebrate her graduation without being overshadowed by her cousins. This led to a confrontation where she firmly requested that her special moment not be hijacked by comparisons, resulting in a defensive response from the stepmom and her dad’s support for the stepmom’s perspective.
So keep on scrolling down below to know what happened next and make sure to read it till the end.
1. OP graduated with her master’s degree in applied math and according to her it was really a tiring degree now OP is relieved as it’s done, now OP decided to invite her mom, dad, and stepmom. But OP believes her stepmom is a narcissist due to the way she behaves around her
2. OP’s stepmom would constantly compare her to her cousins when she would fail at something
3. OP’s stepmom told her that she would be making dinner reservations for just her, OP’s dad, and OP at some fancy restaurant in town but OP told her that she would not be getting dinner as she is busy with her chores.
4. The next night OP is hosting a party in her apartment where she would be inviting everybody from her work and friends from the area but stepmom replied to OP, that she has made her dad upset and they would have to drive for 8 hours to get to the ceremony.
5. OP stopped by their hotel to say hello and her dad told OP that he understood about her party and not to worry about the dinner but the stepmom had other plans
6. OP’s stepmom again started mentioning that OP’s cousin is doing so well
7. OP replied to her stepmom that she needs to stop hijacking her graduation weekend from her to which she replied that OP is jealous and creating problems with her dad joining in with her
9. This Redditor suggested to OP that do not let anyone steal your joy
10. Literally everyone is on OP’s side and according to the facts above OP is absolutely NTA
11. Yes this is a fact that OP’s stepmom doesn’t like her very much and this could be the reason for her comparing OP to her cousins
12. Seems like users are really happy with OP completing her master’s degree
13. Absolutely NTA, it is OP’s time to shine and no one should be allowed to be an obstacle in her journey.
14. This is a fact!
15. Almost everyone is on OP’s side and that is because she is innocent and NTA
16. She can change her attitude or she can head back to the home
17. This is actually true, what do you guys think about this?
Let us know what you think about this post in the comment section below and don’t forget to like and share it with your friends and family. Stay tuned with Defused for more content. Thank You!