When you only have one child, there is no issue regarding attention. It is the husband who suffers a bit as the child starts getting more attention after it comes into the world. However, when you have more than one child, the attention part is something that the parents have to seriously work on. As kids get older, they begin to feel the deficiency if there is any. If, as a parent, you don’t divide your attention equally among all your kids, then you are making a mistake.
In today’s story, we notice a mother stuck in said attention dilemma. Reddit user shared she has an 11-year-old daughter and a 9-year-old mae son who is autistic. OP’s daughter had a school trip coming up and she had made a promise, weeks ago, to go with her. However, just days before the trip OP got to know that her son’s regular teacher had taken sick leave and that there would be no one to attend him on a play that was on the same day as her daughter’s school trip. OP decided to pull out of her daughter’s trip to go to her son’s play to attend to him so he doesn’t face any challenges.
OP’s daughter got really angry after knowing that her mother had broken the promise. Scroll down below to read the story!
1. Children and trying to divide attention equally…a very difficult responsibility for parents to fulfill.
2. OP works at her daughter’s school to assist students. The school arranged a trip and OP’s promised her mother she would go with her.
3. However, her autistic son’s school was doing a play on the same day.
4. OP got the news about her son’s regular teacher being on sick leave only days before the play.
5. OP believes her son won’t be able to understand anything if she doesn’t go with him on the play.
This is not okay. I am sure where OP’s son goes for schooling, there are other teachers who could’ve easily looked after him. It’s not like his regular teacher was the only person in the school who knew about him. I think OP shouldn’t have pulled out of her daughter’s school trip because that promise was made weeks ago.
Let’s see what happens next. Scroll down below to continue reading!
6. Because OP pulled out of her school trip, this made her daughter really angry.
7. OP had to turn to the AITA community to know if what she did was wrong or not.
YTA! Your son, as you say yourself has the mental capacity that of a 2-year-old. If you do something to a 2-year-old or tell him/her something, he/she forgets everything within 30 minutes. Had OP not attended his play, he wouldn’t have even remembered if such a thing ever happened. But his physically and mentally sane daughter would remember the fact that her mother decided to pull out of her school trip. That would hurt her terribly.
Here’s what the AITA community had to say about this:
8. You shouldn’t have pulled out of your daughter’s trip because she won’t forget that.
9. Unless there is an emergency, always honor the commitments you make to your oldest child.
10. You going on your daughter’s field trip would let her know that you haven’t divided your attention and love her equally as much as your son.
11. Not only will you hurt your daughter, but you have also created a messy situation for your daughter’s school, OP.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“My cat lets me stack things on her belly.”