Reddit user rememberforeversept is a 26-year-old female who has a 25-year-old brother and they both are autistic. OP’s mental condition is much better, she has worked hard to get herself a full-time job and she also receives support. Her brother, on the other hand, is in a much worse mental condition, receives no support, and has only managed to work a part-time job.
OP’s doctors suggested she get a service dog as a next step in line to help with her condition so she got a puppy who would eventually become her service dog. On Christmas, OP’s brother also wanted to bring his 1-year-old dog to the get-together lunch. OP asked him to bring a pen along so his dog can be controlled when needed, they compromised on her brother saying he would prefer tying the dog up.
Eventually, the brother’s bulldog went all over OP’s dog and that is when she told her brother to tie his dog up. This made the brother very angry. He got rude to her and then left. The mother declared both parties wrong. S OP took it to the subreddit “Am I The A$$hole?” to know who actually was in the wrong.
Scroll down below to read how it all went down!
1. Let’s see if OP was in the wrong or not.
2. Looks like OP did something that her family did not like.
3. OP and her brother have autism and their family members always compare the two based on their mental condition. OP’s condition, however, is much better than her brother’s.
4. And her family keeps reminding her that her brother is in a worse condition than her so she should always be grateful and be nice to him.
6. OP got a puppy who would eventually become his service dog, as prescribed by her medical team.
7. On Christmas day, everyone was going to get together, OP was going to have his pup there and her brother wanted to bring his bulldog on the lunch as well. The bulldog is a pretty hectic dog so his potential presence concerned OP.
8. On lunch after OP’s puppy got tired of playing with the bulldog, she put the pup to sleep but her family members brought it out and made it sit in the lounge.
9. That is when the brother’s dog got all over the puppy and OP told him to tie his dog up for a while. This made the brother angry.
10. After lots of swearing and back talking, the brother decided to leave the house.
11. After lunch OP’s mother sat with her and said both siblings were equally responsible for what happened. OP decided to rest her fate in the hands of the AITA community members.
Before we go any further, I would say ESH. Both parties did something wrong. In the case of OP, she should have made everyone clear about the boundaries associated with her puppy. Also, when OP’s puppy got exhausted from playing with the bulldog, she put it in her room to take a nap. But when her family members took the puppy back out and made it sit on the couch, she allowed that to happen. She said nothing to anyone and showed no resistance. The pup sat there and the bulldog jumped on him, causing the scene. So OP sort of put this all on herself.
In the case of OP’s brother, he agreed that he would tie his dog up if it created any scene. And when the bulldog did jump on OP’s puppy and she told him to tie his dog up, he refused to do it, got angry, and actually left the place. So that makes him an AH too.
Both siblings should have shown character and exhibited a sense of responsibility.
12. OP wanted her brother to bring the pen so the dogs could be separated at intervals throughout the day.
13. This is irresponsible behavior on the brother’s part.
Here are some of the comments shared on the story:
14. OP got declared an AH for not being clear in terms of what she expected from her family with regard to her puppy.
15. This is so true. Both parties wanted to control each others’ dogs and not their own.
16. OP could have taken her puppy back in the room, and the brother getting rude and swearing at his sister was also not right.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“My cat enjoying a Lion King moment on the medicine cabinet.”