There are etiquettes associated with everything, a lot of them with relationships if you think about it. This is something it does not take long for anyone to understand. You realize quickly that it is not okay to be rude to your parents, it is not okay to be disrespectful to those older than you, and it is certainly not okay to have s*x with your sister’s boyfriend. I know you are thinking that went from zero to under really quickly. That is because this last situation occurred in the story we have got for you guys today.
Reddit user u/Lost_Papaya9278 shared she had a boyfriend for over 3 years. They met in college and had now been living together happily. This dynamic changed as one day OP walked into her bedroom and found her boyfriend having s*x with her stepsister. OP broke up with her boyfriend who then got into an official relationship with the stepsister. When OP’s parents got to know about her not supporting this relationship, they blamed her for not supporting her stepsister even though she had gone through cancer. Yes, they used her illness to support that relationship.
Scroll down below to read how it all went down!
1. Sister’s relationship with her ex? Kind of awkward. Very awkward, actually.
2. OP had lived almost all of her life with a stepmom. She also has a stepsister she was very close with.
3. OP’s stepsister got diagnosed with cancer when she was 14 but made a full recovery from it after 2 years. During that phase, the family got even closer.
4. OP quit all her extracurricular activities so she could find a job and earn money to help with her stepsister’s medical expenses.
5. OP did all of this with her own heart into it except quitting the school’s volleyball team, she didn’t want to leave that but her stepsister’s health was the top priority.
6. When OP went to college she fell in love with Ben, her classmate, and they moved in together. After a strong relationship going on for over 3 years, one day OP walked in on him cheating with none other than her own stepsister.
7. OP broke her relationship with Ben there and then but her stepsister break any contact with him. In fact, she told OP they were going to get into an official relationship.
8. OP left the restaurant, where they had met up for the discussion, without paying anything.
9. Stepsister told parents about everything and they showed disappointment in OP for not supporting her.
10. Parents blamed the cheating on her cancer. That’s a first!
What etiquette are these parents talking about? They really want OP and us to believe that her not knowing it is not okay to get involved with your sister’s partner was because she had cancer. That she didn’t have the “time” to get to know about all this stuff? She was freaking 14 when she got diagnosed and it’s not like she was bedridden for two whole years. She stayed on top of the disease which means she was continuing some part of her normal life activity.
OP’s stepsister fully knew what she was doing and this is in no way acceptable. OP should not support this relationship. No one should. Well, now that she knows the “etiquette”, why don’t her parents make her leave Ben? Hypocrites.
11. But that logic was unbelievable for OP.
12. OP’s parents went on to tell her they will refuse to keep any contact with her if she didn’t accept her stepsister and Ben’s relationship.
13. OP just felt extremely betrayed and didn’t want such a person to be part of her family.
At least that is what I understand from this.
14. OP is upset with her stepsister because she knew OP was in a relationship with Ben and still chose to sleep with him.
15. Everyone in OP’s immediate family has called her an as*hole for not supporting her stepsister and ex-boyfriend’s relationship.
Here are some of the comments shared on the story:
16. Nobody does it because “Oh, I didn’t know the etiquette.” That was straight BS by the parents.
17. So we have started blaming all our wrong decisions on our illnesses now, huh?
18. That is what was going through my mind. It was her parents’ fault. Etiquette, mannerism, and upbringing come under parenting.
19. Try the independent route if you can, OP. Your parents already half consider you their child. This percentage is only going to decrease as time passes.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“Giant boy thinks he is still a puppy and wants to sit on his human’s knee.”