I am always in favor of “grabbing the opportunity”. One should never miss out on one if they are being handed it in a plate. But, there are some considerations that you always have to make, no matter what decision. You cannot ignore some things…like relationships.
In today’s story Reddit user u/throweoijeiowfjeaway. who belongs to Canada, shared he got a job offer from Europe. An offer that was really attractive and would make him and his family really well off, financially. OP along with his wife planned to move. Both had children from their previous marriages and the two mutually decided that they would leave their kids behind. For OP this was going to be fine as his children lived with their mother but his wife had an 18-year-old daughter who had just started college and had anxiety. OP’s wife was concerned about how to break this news of her moving away to her daughter.
OP suggested they should keep the news a secret and should only inform his stepdaughter once they leave Canada. OP’s wife agreed but OP’s own daughter called him an AH for this. The matter got shared with the infamous community known as “Am I The A$$hole?“. OP wanted to know if his decision really was a terrible one or not.
Scroll down below to read the story!
1. That is a big move…Let’s see why the husband didn’t want his wife’s daughter to know about this.
2. OP, who lives in Canada, got a really good job offered to him in Europe. He fully wanted to make the movie.
3. OP and his wife both have children from their ex-partners. Because OP’s children live with their mom, they don’t have a problem with their father moving to Europe.
4. The wife’s daughter, as introduced by OP, is pretty young and has some genuine anxiety issues.
5. Because his stepdaughter has never liked him, and the mom assumed her girl would get an anxiety attack upon hearing the news, she was really concerned about how to break this news.
6. OP suggested they move to Europe and then tell his wife’s daughter.
7. OP believed she would be fine with the news and because he didn’t want any delays in the process, he wanted things to proceed his way.
8. After listening to OP’s reasoning, his wife agreed with the strategy.
I am sorry but what is going on here? These parents are planning to move, literally, from one continent to the other…the two being across the globe from each other…and they don’t want their daughter to know about this. So, that girl will wake up one day and see a message on her phone from her mother that she has been left alone and that “mommy now lives 6,600 kilometers away from you”.
This is a terrible idea because there is no better way to trigger her anxiety problem than this. Let’s see what happens next. Scroll down below to continue reading!
9. OP’s own daughter, though, is not happy with this decision.
10. OP was discussing with his ex-wife how worried his wife was about informing her daughter about the move.
11. After the video call with his wife ended, OP’s daughter called him to say what he was doing was terrible!
12. She didn’t overhear it, he was just too loud.
13. OP said his daughter had no right to give him advice on his current family matters.
14. After OP’s daughter called him an AH for not wanting his wife to tell her daughter about the move, he turned to the AITA community to know if he really was wrong about it.
Here’s what the internet had to say about this:
15. A great salary at the cost of a relationship is not worth it.
16. You leaving the freaking continent and then telling your stepdaughter about it will trigger her anxiety beyond repair.
17. OP’s relationship with her children is not like the one his wife has with her daughter.
18. Tell him!
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“The most dramatic cat in all the land. This is what he does when he doesn’t get attention for 5 minutes.”