There are so many people out there who take advantage of your niceness. I think that is why we use the statement “courtesy is contagious” nowadays. In today’s story, that is exactly what happened. Reddit user u/tazookeeper shared that their next-door neighbor, Mr. B, was an amazing person, and because he was old and had mobility issues, OP would take care of his driveway by snow-blowing it in the winter and his lawn by mowing it in the summers. After Mr. B passed away, OP still looked after his driveway and garden until his children finally sold the house.
Once the new neighbors came in, OP introduced himself and his family to them and informed them that they should have all the required tools for snow and mowing the lawn as the snow season was about to start. But they never listen. OP would mow their lawn upon request when he would do his own but would always tell them to get their tools sorted. But they didn’t.
One day there was a heavy snowfall that blocked everyone’s driveway. The new neighbor came running to OP’s house asking him to clean their driveway so they could go to work. OP refused because he had had enough.
Scroll down below to read the story!
1. Cleaning someone else’s driveway is already raising so many questions in my mind. Let’s jump right in and have these questions answered.
2. OP had an old neighbor, Mr. B, who had mobility issues for quite some time and was the nicest person to everyone in the neighborhood.
3. Every time would snow in the winter, after snow blowing his own driveway OP would clear Mr. B’s driveway as well. In summer he would do the same when mowing the lawn.
4. OP continued maintaining Mr. B’s driveway and lawn even after he passed away. Mr. B’s would dearly thank OP for this.
5. The children eventually sold the house. When the new neighbors moved in OP and family introduced themselves to the newbies and greeted them with a smile.
6. As he noticed the new neighbors had no lawnmowers or snowblowers. OP suggested they get all the required tools as quickly as possible as snow season was soon going to start.
7. In the beginning when OP would mow his lawn, the neighbors would request him to mow theirs as well. OP did it but asked them to get their own tools.
8. One day there was a huge snowfall and the new neighbor came rushing to OP’s house at 9 a.m. in the morning wanting him to blow the snow off their driveway because they had to go to work.
Okay, now this is just entitlement at its absolute peak. Why are they treating OP as their maintenance guy? Just because he agreed to mow your lawn once or twice doesn’t mean you can utilize him for whatever you want…and that too for free. These neighbors need to sort themselves out. I don’t like these people.
Let’s see what happens next. Scroll down below to contiue reaidng!
9. OP told the neighbor he won’t be doing it any time soon so they better work a way out.
10. OP told the neighbor he could borrow his shovel if he wants but there is no way he is doing their driveway.
11. The other neighbors didn’t show any support to OP for what he did.
12. The worst part is even OP’s wife didn’t support him in this scenario. That is why OP had to turn to the AITA community to know if what he did was wrong or not.
Here’s what the AITA community had to say about this:
13. I know right. It’s like punching yourself in the face and saying “He did it!”.
14. Don’t be nice to them. These people feel entitled to courtesy.
15. I hope they don’t stay for long. Chances are highly unlikely as they bought the house.
16. If they don’t want to clean their own driveway or pay for it to be done by a service company, the new neighbors just then just chill in their lounge and enjoy hot tea.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“The cat trap is working.”