This Redditor shared that after purchasing a historical property that had a huge chunk of land he decided to turn it back into a residential property as it was run as a hotel by the previous owners. Now a big road ran by the line of their unfenced garden so OP decided to install hedges on that entire line for privacy and safety purposes.
There was also a gardener’s cottage at the edge of the line which was sold separately. OP was unaware of the fact that the cottage had already been sold by the previous owners to one of their relatives. The relative had decided to turn the cottage into an Airbnb but now OP had already installed hedges on the garden’s line which ended up blocking the view of whoever would rent that cottage.
Not knowing if installing the hedges put him at fault or not, OP decided to share the story on the subreddit “Am I The A$$hole?” to ask for a verdict. Scroll down below to read the story. We would love to know what you think about this situation.
1. Let’s find out.
2. OP purchased a historical property, a massive piece of free land from previous owners who used it to run a hotel.
3. OP spent money to turn it back into a private residential property. The main road ran by their unfenced garden to they planted hedges for privacy purposes.
4. There was also a small gardener’s cottage that was sold separately.
5. What OP didn’t know was that the previous owners had sold that cottage to a relative of their own. That relative had decided to turn that cottage into an Airbnb.
6. Now because that was an Airbnb, this meant the hedges that OP had planted for privacy purposes would block the view of whoever would live in that cottage.
NTA. The cottage is a separate thing. OP had a full plan to purchase that as well. They were oblivious to the fact that the previous owners had already sold it. This information about the relative wanting to turn the cottage into an Airbnb should have been conveyed in advance.
Also, the hedges that OP installed for privacy purposes were within their property line. A person can do whatever they want with their property. If the relative can turn a gardener’s cottage into an Airbnb, OP can also fill up his unfenced garden line with hedges.
7. Not sure if what they did was right or not, OP knocked on the doors of the AITA community.
Here’s what the AITA community had to say about this:
8. This is a foul argument. There is no need for OP to waste his time on it.
9. One letter and they will shut right up.
10. It was a terrible plan, and that is why it failed.
11. I smelled entitlement in their project.
I really hope you guys enjoyed this one. Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Stay tuned for more stories!
“Here’s my chubby cat in one of those tiny tent displays!”